Norfolk Fisheries

BoozleBear

Well I went to Dilham fishery and had a lovely day. Pleased to say Jack and I picked the only day it didn't rain.

The first thing I must say is thanks very much Karen - this day would not have happened had you not taken the time and trouble to help me.

Dilham fishery is lovely. We arrived there at half past nine to see a lovley little fishery soaked in sunlight. Following Karen's suggestion we went straight to peg 2 and I immediately set up a legder with a hair rigged lump of luncheon meat which I flung out to the front right hand corner of the island, chucked a few samples around it, turned on the bite alarm, and went about rigging up a float set up for the other rod.

As I was doing that the lady who runs the fishery came over, and charged me a measley £6 for 2 rods, and took lunch order of bacon butties and tea, and promised to bring us a couple of bottle of coke after doing the rounds (which were short as only 2 pegs taken).

I had the £6 in my hand ready to pass to her and the alarm went screaming off. The money fell to the floor as I turned round and told Jack "hit it, Jack" and he struck lightly but firm, and a spirited fight sprung up from a rather spritely common carp of about 1.5 lbs. Jack guided the fish into the net, I unhooked it on the mat and Jack slipped her back in to the water.

It was not yet 10am and needless to say Jack was delighted. I got a bit excited and got a pen and paper and decided to make a list - one action which tempted fate. And we all know what a bugger fate can be!

We sat back and watched the centre of the lake (pond?) where easily 30 carp were basking and cruising in the sun. No feeding bubbles were visible, and considering our baits were 5 feet below where they were basking away, and not looking like changing, it didn't fill me with optimism.

Things went quite for an hour or so and Jack surreptitiously pulled a book out of his pocket and decided reading a Willard Price adventure was more interesting than watching a lake full of fish ignoiring our bait.

A change of tact was needed. The meat ledger stayed out by the island, but I bought in the float set up I had fished a sweetcorn hookbait in a slight dip in the middle of the lake. The thought was that if Jack was getting bored (evidently so) then I had to make it more interesting. So, in the knowledge there were rudd in the water and also that the carp were crusing near the surface, I changed the float rig so it was fishing a couple of maggots about a foot down.

Within 10 minutes it seemed to be a good change of tact. The float shot under, and I told Jack to strike it. In his excitement Jack forgot to tighten into it first and struck a slack line. He then started reeling in and pulled back a hook with only one, very slurped looking maggot hanging sorry looking on the end.

Nothing happened until lunch came, a smashing cup of tea and a large bacon and egg roll, and a bacon roll for Jack. Fantastic food and very good value.

Nothing much happened for the next few hours. The fella a couple of pegs along caught a very small roach, and at about 4 pm he caught a beatiful little ghostie of about 1lb.

As the ghostie fell to luncheon meat I decided as we were leaving at half 5 we needed the best odds possible, so fished 2 rods with luncheon meat, the float set up substituted with a ledger on my quiver tip rod.

Laziness came to haunt me I am afraid. Rather than use the reel I had used on the float set up, I got another, older reel out of my bag to put on the quiver tip rod. I'd sat there last night thinking 'hmm, haven't used that reel in a while, I'll change the line in a minute'. Well I never did so, and realised what a mistake that was when the end of the quiver tip bent round and started shaking. I struck and the line went limp. It had snapped at the rod end of the line, right at the end of the rod. I check the ring, no sharp edges, I looked at the break in the line, quite clean but slightly frayed.

More than annoyed with myself - more at the fact that what felt like a decent fish was now swimming around with my hook in its mouth (although thankfully not a weight as I'd chosen to paternoster), I changed the reel and cast out once more.

Another bite came just before we were about to leave, I struck, and missed. Nothing. The hair rig came back with the boilie stop still there, telling me I had struck too soon and simply pulled the rig out the fishes mouth leaving the meat behind.

All in all a disapointing day in a fishing perspective, but thoroughly enjoyable in terms of facilities, comfort, atmosphere and surroundings.

The fish were of lovely quality and the lake was very well kept, by very nice people. Chickens kept us company for most of the day (cover your sweetcorn up!) and the owners' children said hello and even gave us a couple of tips on what to do.

I will add pictures to the post when I can find where I put the camera!

Thanks,

Simon

www.myspace.com/boozlebear

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Boozle,

Your very welcome but no thanks needed at all I'm just glad I could be of use to ya both lol sounds like you both had a great day dispite a few hiccups and the Carp laughing at ya! lol It's so frastrating when they splash infront of ya and totally ignore you! lol

Good on ya and a great write up :D

Real women don't have hot flushes - They have power surges!!

Hiya Boozle,

Your very welcome but no thanks needed at all I'm just glad I could be of use to ya both lol sounds like you both had a great day dispite a few hiccups and the Carp laughing at ya! lol It's so frastrating when they splash infront of ya and totally ignore you! lol

Good on ya and a great write up :D

Cheers to you Karren and of course Chavender :)

www.myspace.com/boozlebear