Close season fishing

kleinboet

Interesting Question (to me):

I know and agree with the close season on rivers. However somebody said something the other day that got me thinking - Where does the river "end" and the marine fishing "begin". I have caught flatties in freshwater and 'river fish' in inlets.

I asked the EA what is the ruling with regard to this matter - they don't know!!

Can someone PLEASE give me some clarification as to where the 'river' ends!

I always thought it was where the river stopped being tidal. but think - The Severn is tidal up to Tewsbury!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Interesting Question (to me):

I know and agree with the close season on rivers. However somebody said something the other day that got me thinking - Where does the river "end" and the marine fishing "begin". I have caught flatties in freshwater and 'river fish' in inlets.

I asked the EA what is the ruling with regard to this matter - they don't know!!

Can someone PLEASE give me some clarification as to where the 'river' ends!

I always thought it was where the river stopped being tidal. but think - The Severn is tidal up to Tewsbury!

see: http://www.sacn.org.uk/Articles/Do_I_Need_A_Licence.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Interesting reading Leon.

That letter suggests it is up to the bailiff to decide! - This is what I got:

Date: 05/04/2008 12:07:39

To: John Sime

Subject: Ref: 182468 Close season

Dear John

Thank you for your enquiry regarding Closed season.

Closed Season can be different depending an where and what you are fishing for. Below I have supplied you with quite a lot of information and links. This should answer your enquiry. Although should you require any further information please contact us again.

Coarse fish close season

It is the 15th March to the 15th June inclusive.

It applies to all rivers, streams and drains in England & Wales, but does not apply to most still waters.

There are, however, some exceptions that retain the close season. The Norfolk Broads and some Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs); these sites are listed in the Schedules attached to the byelaws. These can be obtained from our web-site site.

It does not apply to most canals in England and Wales: again there are some exceptions, mainly SSSIs.

Where the statutory coarse fish close season has been removed, fishery owners and angling clubs are free to introduce a close season through club or fishery rules if they wish to

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1&lang=_e

Rainbow Trout Close Season

There is no annual close season for fishing for rainbow trout by rod and line in all reservoirs, lakes and ponds. In other waters the close season will be determined by local byelaws

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/subje...n=1&lang=_e

Brown trout close season

A close season for brown trout applies to all waters, although dates vary according to local byelaws

The closed season for salmon and migratory sea trout depends on the region that you are fishing in and the specific waters where you choose to fish.

For all information relating to closed season for salmon and migratory sea trout, please write to the Local Area Office Fisheries. Using the link below you will be able to find the address.

http://www2.environment-agency.gov.uk/epr/...p?type=register

I trust this will be of help.

Yours sincerely

Karen Thoman

National Customer Contact Centre

Templeborough

Rotherham

S60 1BY

Phone: 08708 506506

Fax: 01709 312820

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Guest Rabbit

It's a good question, the Severn here in Tewkesbury is indeed tidal below the massive weir that is Tewkesbury 'Ham'. a huge floodplain that for the most part keeps the town above water. I suppose the Severn is pretty unique given the extent of the tide effect it has so far upstream from it's confluence with the Bristol Channel. it must be at least 30 miles (without checking), from Gloucester to Tewkesbury a distance of some 12 miles or so is a stretch of water that does not see much angling pressure, but a huge amount of elvering in the spring. coarse fish can be found as far downstream as Gloucester mixing with the occasional sea species such as dabs.

Between Gloucester and Tewkesbury is a stetch of the Severn (Wainloades) that is excellent for coarse fishing, including chub and barbel, the river takes on a different look here, and transforms itself from a muddy moody river to a river to shallow gravel runs that allow you to wade and trot a stick float roach!! more akin to the Kennet than the Severn. However she soon reverts to type before entering Gloucester.

So it's a long winded reply to a simple question. but take it from me 'yours truly' is not gonna test the law, even though quite legally I could fish or eels in the close season anywhere on the Severn, with rod and line, with worm and wide gape hooks....its called Barb-eeling apparently. :mellow:

Also there is the issue of what species you are targeting and with what baits and tackle.Im fairly sure (Leon will know) that its technically illegal to catch the roach we sometimes do from the tidal Medway when targeting Mullet. I have been pulled before for fishing for Mullet on the tidal stretch of the Rother below the lock! this actually has no water at low tide! Mind you the muppet EA guys reason then though was to see my rod licence.Wouldnt have it when I pointed out that I was "sea fishing"! Fortunately the EA lock keeper put him right.

Also for some netting/commercial situation the rulings governing freshwater juristiction extend some distance out to sea! (once again Leon will be able to confirm/explain in more accuracy than myself).

Try Mullet fishing in anything but the open sea and you will then really know about the mysteries of closed season ruling/licensing, EA baillifs lack of knowledge (Emma two care to comment?) etc etc.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

i asked the same question last year and the reply i received (copied from the original so for once the spelling is not down to me

the simple answer is, it depends on what you are fishing for. Aslong as

you

are using sea fishing tackle and standard sea baits you wont need a

licence.

If you are catching migratary Salmon or Trout or corse fish the you will

need

the appropriate licence.

There is no demarkation line.

to be fair my question was would someone who doesnt own an EA licence need one to target mullet flatfish etc in a tidal strecth of river

i asked the same question last year and the reply i received (copied from the original so for once the spelling is not down to me

the simple answer is, it depends on what you are fishing for. Aslong as

you

are using sea fishing tackle and standard sea baits you wont need a

licence.

If you are catching migratary Salmon or Trout or corse fish the you will

need

the appropriate licence.

There is no demarkation line.

to be fair my question was would someone who doesnt own an EA licence need one to target mullet flatfish etc in a tidal strecth of river

so dead baiting with a mackerel is ok then ??

so dead baiting with a mackerel is ok then ??

well if you were using 'sea methods and tackle' for sea fish then yes

madness

i actually asked if there was a demarcation line of where coarse rule ends and sea rule starts