Food for thought

Sportsman

Sorry about all this but I am in that sort of mood

According to the UNFAO, thirty percent of the earth’s usable land is directly or indirectly involved in livestock production. What’s more, it’s said that livestock production generates nearly a fifth of the world’s greenhouse gases - more than all fossil-based transportation.

University of Chicago Geophysicists Gidon Eshel and Pam Martin calculated that if Americans were to reduce meat consumption by just 20 percent, it would be equivalent to switching from driving a standard sedan (e.g., Camry) to a hybrid Prius.

The Japanese National Institute of Livestock Science estimates that 2.2 pounds of beef is responsible for the equivalent amount of carbon dioxide emitted by the average European car every 155 miles, and burns enough energy to light a 100-watt bulb for nearly 20 days.

Energy consumption and food production are intimately related, with large animals being disproportionately more energy intensive than other food sources. As fuel costs skyrocket, so does everything else, especially food. Last year, the UNFAO’s worldwide Food Price Index shot up 40%. In one year.

The EPA estimates that U.S. agriculture - much of which now serves the demand for meat - contributes to “nearly three-quarters of all water-quality problems in the nation’s rivers and streams.” The use of antibiotics in cattle is said to be contributing to the rise of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, along with increased incidence of diet-related disease.

It gets even more personal. Stanford professor Rose Naylor shows that roughly 800 million people suffer from malnutrition, while most of the world’s corn and soy is used to feed cattle and pigs. Depending on animal and process, up to five times more grain is required to produce the same amount of calories through livestock as through direct grain consumption. For U.S. grain-fed beef, this imbalance is up to ten times higher.

Diets heavily reliant on large animals are not only unhealthy and unnecessary, but one might say, unholy. By eating fewer large animals, we (1) use far less energy, (2) generate far less CO2, (3) potentially improve our health, and perhaps most importantly, (4) contribute to a more equitable and just distribution of calories into the world’s neediest communities.

The proteins, aminos, vitamins, and other nutrients we need can be found, in abundance, in foods other than big meat. Caveat: I’m not a vegetarian, but our family’s diet is rarely based on big meat.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

On the other side of the coin, so to speak, I have a farmer friend (he owns a lake and lets me fish) who grows a mixed crop (Vegetables, wheat and other grains etc) and bought 6 cows from a fellow farmer to fatten up and sell.

He can't sell them!

ALL the livestock in the area is being raised for the large supermarkets, who contract them to sell the meat for a song!

Nobody will buy his livestock and H&S will not let him slaughter the animals and sell the meat direct!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

On the other side of the coin, so to speak, I have a farmer friend (he owns a lake and lets me fish) who grows a mixed crop (Vegetables, wheat and other grains etc) and bought 6 cows from a fellow farmer to fatten up and sell.

He can't sell them!

ALL the livestock in the area is being raised for the large supermarkets, who contract them to sell the meat for a song!

Nobody will buy his livestock and H&S will not let him slaughter the animals and sell the meat direct!

There are several ways around that, If you want me to, I will PM you the details. NOT ILLEGAL, nor in breach of any H&S etc etc. :)

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."