tench bubbles

dapper64

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

when you walk on to a lake or pond and you see tench bubbles,does it mean they are feeding?as I never seem to catch them when there are bubbles .

I have hard that at certain times of the year Tench can get pre-occupied with bloodworm, and are not interested in anything else.

Having said that I have on many occasions cast into a patch of bubbles and had a Tench.

If you're sure there are fish feeding, try altering the depth up or down to see if you can get bites.

As no man is born an artist, so no man is born an angler. Izaac Walton

Guest tigger

Tench only cause bubbles when there disturbing the bottom usually grubbing about for food. Not all bubbles are caused by Tench and many/most bubbles are nothing to do with fish at all.

Tench only cause bubbles when there disturbing the bottom usually grubbing about for food.

I would have thought the clusters of tiny bubbles from a feeding tench were made by them not caused by them, anyone know more?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

the fizzing comes from disturbed vegetation which has small pockets of oxygen undet its leaves etc, it is also possible for pockets of gas to be lying in the silt on the bottom of ponds etc, the bubbles do not come directly from the fish themselves...

Not being an expert , i thought the bubbles where caused by the gas rising from the lake bed when they were rooting for food going through the fishes mouth and then out their gills. Hence why tench bubbles are much finer than carp bubbles.

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

when you walk on to a lake or pond and you see tench bubbles,does it mean they are feeding?as I never seem to catch them when there are bubbles .

I've read that Carp and Tench bubbles look different. Tench look like a long fizzy stream and are smaller whilst Carp are larger, more random and it a patch. Not to be confused with bubbles formed when plant material breaks down and pockets of methane form till they'll released by pressure of build up. Usually these are in one place - the point where the gas has found a way through.

Having seen all 3 kinds it certainly fits with my experience.

Not catching could down to the lottery of how much feed is in the swim compared to your bait.

I've found that often my bait is the last thing taken.

Also I've found when float fishing, changing the depth at which the bait is presented at can help.

Fishing for Carp I had the exact same problem and added a extra couple of inches so it was over depth and then I started catching.

Tony

There are different types of bubbles!

Some caused by fish, some not.

Have a look at the following thread

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Watercr...&hl=Bubbles

...and to save me some typing, from another thread I wrote

Re the bubbles - as Ken says, the smaller ones may be fish, larger ones from the same spot are probably just rotting vegetation - especially if they "pop" as soon as they come to the surface.

If the bubbles take a long time to "pop" it is probably because they have a thin film of mucus acquired when they pass through a fish's gill rakers (bream bubbles tend to be very persistent). A large patch of tiny bubbles usually means tench, a moving string of small bubbles indicates bream or carp. A huge patch of bubbles, together with a smoke screen and a boil, means a BIG carp is dive bombing the bottom.

PS sorry about the red bubbles - they indicate the bubbles have passed through AN's search engine :)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...