tench bubbles

dapper64

Anderoo you're a brave man getting the camera out in a situation like that!!

The other options were going to the loo or pouring a cuppa :D

(By the way, by the time the 'proper' carpers had emerged bleary-eyed from their bivvies the fun was well and truely over. That was at about 5am in high summer.)

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trouble with "tench bubbles" is that it falls (for me at least) in to the same catagory as "rolling bream" and "leaping carp". They do it for sure on some but not all waters.Lots of theories why some seem scientificly sensible and others a bit far fetched.But to me it seems that no one really knows as very few have been able to see all of the behaviour that is involved in these things.Well certainly not to a degree or on a wide enough basis to say for certain.

Anglers watching fish (as we used to a lot in the days of the closed season and before kipping in a bivvy 24 hrs a day) is probably the best source of refference as (to my knowledge) very little scientific study has ever been carried out.You would be well suprised just how little is still known about most coarse fish.Its seems that if they are not farmed for food or becoming (normally once its to late and they have become!) extinct then no ones to interested in funding such stuff!

Whilst having been lucky enough to observe fish both from an underwater and above water veiw point Ive never been lucky enough to observe any of the behaviours mentioned.

I wonder if I dug out my old gear and loaned some bottles whether sat on the bottom of a clear pit such as Wingham would give me such a chance ? No realisticly I think that an awfull lot of hours would be needed and I would rather spend them dry and with a rod in my hand! Thats why 90% of "underwater" wildlife film is shot in a tank!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

The other options were going to the loo or pouring a cuppa :D

(By the way, by the time the 'proper' carpers had emerged bleary-eyed from their bivvies the fun was well and truely over. That was at about 5am in high summer.)

Aha that old chesnut, good man, I like your style. One of the more proof fishing techniques known to man.

Budgie you're spot on.

I like trying to suss things out whilst I'm fishing, happy in the knowledge that onced sussed I'm probably actually no closer to knowing what exactly is going on than when I started trying to suss it out.

If fishing was exact science rather than a rough one it wouldn't be half as interesting or as much fun. If a Tench rolled 1 metre from my float and I then knew that in 3.56 minutes my bait would be taken and in 7.2 minutes the fish would be in my net I might soon go off the idea.

I think as Anglers we have a pretty important role to play as naturalists. Who else spends so long on such a regular basis thinking about the water, it's inhabitants and staring at it and in to it.

I've seen all sorts of things whilst stood up the branches of trees.

I did wonder if it was a kind of advertising, telling the others to get over there and join in the feast,

I think you have something there Andrew.

Many times roach and chub roll before going on the feed, especially at dusk.

We used to line up on the river, just before dusk. The roach would start to roll at the bottom of the length, the guy downstream would start to catch. Then the roach would work their way upstream, rolling and feeding.

I often thought that this was a 'communal' thing, all gathering together prior to feeding.

Flocks of birds do it. Why not fish?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John