Kayak speed

Chris Hy

Chris,

your tarpon does those speeds with you paddling, speed depends alot on the paddler, style, strength, endurance etc.

I have an OK p13 but haven't a clue on speeds, I'm not that bothered, its not a racing kayak so as long as I can get to where I want to go then thats me satisfied.

Cheers,

Chaz

Hi Chris,

I had every intention of getting that particular data for my P13 on Saturday. I clocked myself up to about 6.8 mph with the wind at my back and running with a slow current. That is just from memory. I originally only cared about the distance that I was to paddle. When I got home- (I was in a hurry to make it to the church) I realized that I left the sat receiver on and screwed up my average. I was still getting a signal traveling down the A61. I won't tell you the top speed that I documented. The overall average came to 7.1 mph for 3 hours paddle (and drive home). I'll get it right next weekend.

I've seen various posts on another site for hull speed. The details were :yawn: interesting but too scientific for my taste. Basically it's in relation to length, beam, and displacement. Here's one.... Hull Speed

I'm afraid I'm like Chaz. I just like to paddle :)

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

There are practical reasons to know however. I troll at 3-3.5 knots for pike, that appears to be optimum for my lures.

However, knowing what speed you can paddle at for a sustained period is an important safety feature - if you can paddle normally in a flat sea at 4 knots then you know that you can comfortably face a 2 knot current and make decent headway and a 3 knot current can be overcome but is not desirable. If it's a 5 knot current thats likely then you know it's somewhere not to go. If you lose x amount of speed when the wind is against you or when the swell is a certain height as well then again you can alter your plans accordingly.

I class myself as a reasonably strong paddler now and can attain 4-5 knots sustained for a fair while and for some routes will favour one of my yaks over the other. I also know that there are certain areas at certain states of the tide where I know that I will either inch along or stay static and so plan my day's fishing to avoid expending the energy at that time. For navigation and time-keeping purposes too it is a very useful bit of knowledge to acquire.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• 3 weeks later...