Fishing the Middle Thames

Vagabond

I concur September/October being my favourites ,I had a river carp the week before you nudging 20 whilst barbel fishing there Dave which for a few minutes proper had my ticker going thinking I was attached to one of the big girls and then a few minutes later a bream nudging 9 lb before a bout of upset tummy out paid to my fun ....put 2 buckets of maize,Hemp and patio lend mix along with some tiger nuts and I am sure I would have had more from the spot but hey ho

My mate Jim had a 7lb 8 oz Chub out of the weir pool after dark along with a carp the same size bracket as mine but I spoked a much bigger pair in the mill pool whilst sneakily Perch fishing from the kayak with lures

It can be hard work the Thames if it just isn't happening but when it is wham ,Jim also took some nice Roach around 1lb and a bit to sweet corn float fished over depth

Struggled with the lures for big Perch although I bumped a big one and had a follow from a monster one ,in short it hasn't been easy but yes later in the year far more consistent that bit is a very good bit of water on its day P

We are out again tomorrow evening for the weekend so will try again

Edited by JV44

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

I concur September/October being my favourites ,I had a river carp the week before you nudging 20 whilst barbel fishing there Dave which for a few minutes proper had my ticker going thinking I was attached to one of the big girls and then a few minutes later a bream nudging 9 lb before a bout of upset tummy out paid to my fun ....put 2 buckets of maize,Hemp and patio lend mix along with some tiger nuts and I am sure I would have had more from the spot but hey ho

My mate Jim had a 7lb 8 oz Chub out of the weir pool after dark along with a carp the same size bracket as mine but I spoked a much bigger pair in the mill pool whilst sneakily Perch fishing from the kayak with lures

It can be hard work the Thames if it just isn't happening but when it is wham ,Jim also took some nice Roach around 1lb and a bit to sweet corn float fished over depth

Struggled with the lures for big Perch although I bumped a big one and had a follow from a monster one ,in short it hasn't been easy but yes later in the year far more consistent that bit is a very good bit of water on its day P

We are out again tomorrow evening for the weekend so will try again

Thanks JV44, the local butcher told Norma a few tales of the weirpool when she went shopping, obviously the best spot

Brians bag of roach coincided with a lot of mashed bread as loose feed, and my perch catch accompanied a steady trickle of dendrobaena worms. Later in the week we were running out of loose feed, so a lesson for next time is more loose feed.

This time there was no dinghy provided, so we were confined to boat and bank. One of the few other anglers seen was fishing the top west corner of the weirpool and caught a chub of around 4 lb. So perhaps a second lesson there.

Anyway, we enjoyed the challenge, even if we didn't quite meet it.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I had a good session yesterday. A few hours in the Kayak brought a perch of around 2lbs a chub of ~3lbs and a little pike, along with the normal smaller perch.

A move to a different town and fishing from the bank later in the day brought 3 pike and a load of perch including a few silly moments when I found a shoal of perch that hit the lure on the drop more often than not! the perch were hard to find but when I did find them it was hit after hit....

*edit* - this was ultra light lure fishing of course!

Edited by Kappa

Maybe no world records Dave, but still a nice week. How could it not be with good company, mums cooking, glasses of vino and fishing at your door.

For the record Dave, There was only three spinners. I didn't cast one all week. :thumbs:

Ps. where next year? The Trent looks like a maybe. :)

Edited by lutra
  • Like 1

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

.............. but still a nice week. How could it not be with good company, mums cooking, glasses of vino and fishing at your door.

This was a splendid exploration of an area new to me. It was a lot less busy on the river than I expected. I think this photo taken at this Thames weir pool sums it up!

Edited by certhia

This was a splendid exploration of an area new to me. It was a lot less busy on the river than I expected. I think this photo taken at Goring weir pool sums it up!

Err....what picture ?

Its so quiet even the picture didnt show up

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Well, I've seen it Norma took it on her mobile from the bridge just below the weir.

She is now asking me how to attach it, and I dunno either....

....nor do lots of others - see relevant thread

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Well, I've seen it Norma took it on her mobile from the bridge just below the weir.

She is now asking me how to attach it, and I dunno either....

....nor do lots of others - see relevant thread

You could use the letters and numbers and stuff to draw an etching ,

http://fsymbols.com/text-art/

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Err....what picture ?

Sorry can't upload even a small photo. Just get an error message. You will have to imagine, a bearded gentleman, quietly fishing from a narrow boat in a Thames Lock on a warm sunny evening. No other people, no fish. All's peace and tranquillity..........

Edited by certhia