fishing with braid

john

Hi, I have just replaced my mono with 6lb braid on my feeder reel. What set up would I use, ie would the feeder be attached to the braid or a long leader? my worry is if the feeder is on the braid and I snag i am likely to lose a fair amount of main line.

Cheers, John.

Nice to see you posting again John. We don't see nearly enough of you.

6lb braid is certainly strong enough but has about the abrasion resistance of a spider web.

I don't fish UK style with feeders but I am always reluctant to put anything on the braid unless I am using at least a 15lb.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

On another slightly similar theme, I getting a centrepin at some point in the future and I was thinking about putting braid on it so that the line floats which would be better for trotting has anyone got any tips for doing this? what breaking strain should be used? I'll be fishing for mainling chub, grayling maybe the odd trout on the river dove.

Errrm

On another slightly similar theme, I getting a centrepin at some point in the future and I was thinking about putting braid on it so that the line floats which would be better for trotting has anyone got any tips for doing this? what breaking strain should be used? I'll be fishing for mainling chub, grayling maybe the odd trout on the river dove.

Errrm

I've got Fireline on all my Pins - Slowly changing them all to FL Crystal. Mostly in the 4lb BS - with one reel which has got 6lb B/S - that gets used for trotting for barbel otherwise - the 4lb is sufficient for dealing withe the species you're after...

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Hi John long time! For feeder fishing try 20lb braid as its the same diameter as 6lb mono and gives you a lot more abbraission resistance than 6lb braid.

I also prefer to have 10' or so of mono tied on the end of my braid for feeder work.I like to tie my rigs in the mono and as said it saves you losing loads of both expensive and non degradable braid.

Trotting for me now is always with 10lb Spiderwire (aprox same diameter as 2-3lb mono) with top and bottom floats anyway.Also use a short length of mono below the braid before attaching the hook length.Always keep the float on the braid though.Much better line control.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Knots are not my strong point but I have just about mastered the half tucked blood knot.

A tackle shop owner recently told me however that this knot is not good for use with braid. He suggested a palomar knot.

This involves doubling up the line before threading through an eyed hook and I struggled on smaller hook sizes.

Was the tackle shop owner correct in saying I should not use the tucked half blood knot with braid and why, and is the palomar knot any good for small eyed hooks?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Guest tigger
Hi, I have just replaced my mono with 6lb braid on my feeder reel. What set up would I use, ie would the feeder be attached to the braid or a long leader? my worry is if the feeder is on the braid and I snag i am likely to lose a fair amount of main line.

Cheers, John.

You could put a swivel on your braid mainline and attach you feeder to it with a small length of 4lb mono. You could put the mono through a small peice of tubing to stiffen it if you want.

I use a palomar knot with braid. Strong and no-slip.

If the hook eye is too small to easily take the doubled line, try running a single strand through then reversing it back through. You can put down force on the line to free up as much eye space as possible and it should work.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I dont rate blood knots for anything! For braid I reckon the Grinner is all you need to do any job.Some times its best to "double" it through the eye but others it doesnt seem to matter, The Palomer may be a great knot but its uses are limited.

Oh sometimes (an example is when Im tying the braided mainline to the swivel on my pike rigs/carp/cat rigs) I double the line then tie the grinner.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Thanks for all the advice on knots. Much appreciated. Must be one of the worst feelings in fishing when you get a large fish on the end of the line only for the line to suddenly go slack. You then bring in the line and discover the hook knot has failed. No one to blame but your self...

On another note, I too got a recommendation to use braid when trotting, as it floats. Why don't more people use it however? I rarely see instruction books recommend braid for trotting and I don't see many people on the river bank using it.

Yet it is finer than regular line and stronger.

I guess there are disadvantages but what are they? Is it simply cost or are there other factors?

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)