Tench fishing in April

Anderoo

Hi Martin

It depends on what the bottom is like - over gravel, you won't see the 10lb sink braid. It's thin anyway, but with it's mottled black/sand colour it just disappears. Try a short hooklength with an inline lead, and on the hair one sinking and one bouyant bait (maybe a piece of real corn and one artificial, or a real maggot/caster and a fake one) so it just sinks. With the softness and flexibility of the braid and the neutral bouyancy of the bait, it works really well.

I'd echo that, I usually use Kryston Silkworm for Tench with semi fixed rigs - it doesn't sink but with the short hooklinks I use it doesn't matter.

Edited by Rob Ward

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is very effective for tench. By short, I mean 4-5" tops. I like to bait pretty lightly and fairly loosely so there's a scattering of fine groundbait and a very few bits and pieces like tiny pellets and corn, and a bit more of hemp, over a wide-ish area, then the little PVA pile, or swimfeeder of maggots, becomes a nice focus.

You might be able to tell, but I'm desperate to go tench fishing again :lol: I'm going to a local gravel pit at the weekend, and hopefully it won't be too busy with carpers (some hope, on a bank holiday weekend!) and I'll manage to pick off one of the big old tench in there...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Me too, desperate to get out Tenching that is!

I'm taking the missus to a posh hotel for her birthday over the weekend, it's near Windermere and I was thinking of taking a lure rod but the master plan is I get to go to Wingham for a day or two in July for my birthday so the lure rod is staying in the Cupboard! :victory:

Me too, desperate to get out Tenching that is!

I'm taking the missus to a posh hotel for her birthday over the weekend, it's near Windermere and I was thinking of taking a lure rod but the master plan is I get to go to Wingham for a day or two in July for my birthday so the lure rod is staying in the Cupboard! :victory:

Save it for Wingham! It's about time there was another lake record...

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have some silkworm and will have a look at the sinkbraid. Its a gravel type bottom but unbelievably clear.

I am already using the fake maggots etc but know I need to play around with the hooklength with the key I think being shortening the hooklength - the proof of the pudding will be in the eating!

With such a short hooklink I suspected I had to move away from the flourocarbon/powerline/double strength but still not mega confident using some braid.

I might add a PVA bag of maggots n a touch of hemp as a focus as well.

Regards,

Martin

That sinkbraid is just the business and at the weekend I had a lovely 4lb 10oz tench that looked so much bigger.

I followed that a couple of days later with two more of about 3.5lb and 2.5lb.

I had plenty of fish feeding in the swim. Think I need to play around with bait selection and hooklength a bit more.

Thanks

martin

post-85-1210195470_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin Salisbury

Regards,

Martin