New to Carp

DavidWliilamson

• 4 weeks later...

I had a customer who wanted 50 lb braid for Carp. I think he was off his rocker. I'd use no heavier than 20, normally closer to 15, especially for fish in the 25 lb range.

When you say "leader" it sounds as if you come from a sea fishing background?

Do you mean the hooklength? (i.e. the short bit of line with the hook on it?)

This isn't meant to sound condescending or diparaging. Just trying to find out what you mean. :)

12lb mainline (mono) is the norm. I wouldn't get involved with braided mainlines until you've got more experience. For the hook length (or leader) then 10 or 12lb braid is fine.

There seems to be a fashion for heavier hooklength than mainlines. I've never worked out why though?

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Sorry?? Yes I did mean the hook length and Bingo hit it right on the nail I have moved from sea fishing to fresh David

I had a customer who wanted 50 lb braid for Carp. I think he was off his rocker. I'd use no heavier than 20, normally closer to 15, especially for fish in the 25 lb range.
thanks that's what i was looking for :D :D :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I had a customer who wanted 50 lb braid for Carp. I think he was off his rocker.

LOL - then I suppose I am off my trolly as well since my usual is 50lb mainline and a 40lb hooklength - all braid.

Small diameter, limp, no memory, what's not to like?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Gaffer uses the 'heavy' stuff, too.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE