why use bivvys?

Peter M

....Size limits were still in force then, so it was legal to remove what you caught.....

Don't know about darn sarf, but we've still got them. Here's an extract from the NW byelaws.

19 Prohibition of taking undersized fish

No person shall take from any waters within the area any fish of a kind and of a size less than

such size as is hereinafter prescribed, that is to say:

Migratory trout 300mm

Brown trout and char 200mm

Chub and barbel 250mm

Grayling, tench, bream and carp 230mm

Roach, perch, rudd, crucian carp and dace 200mm

Gudgeon and ruffe 100mm

The size shall be ascertained by measuring from the tip of the snout to the fork or cleft of the

tail.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rob, not sure where you get the idea that carping started in the 70's? I had been carping for about 19 years by then:)

I realize Carp fishing was popular prior to the 70's... I remember tales of the late, great Richard Walker and the monsters he caught... but as I recall it seemed like there were nowhere near as many anglers fishing for Carp back then. There seemed to be a certain mystical thing about Carp fishing... sitting there for hours and hours if not days... waiting for the big one to suck in your floating crust.

From what I have read on the forum, since becoming a member... it would appear that so many more anglers fish 'exclusively' for Carp these days... as opposed to thirty years ago... (Do you not agree ?)

It could just be that because I always found the Roach & Rudd such wonderful fish to catch... that I really wasn't paying attention to too much else.

It is apparent that Carp fishing has certainly taken off since I left England... and the advances in the techniques used now when compared to how they did it back in the 60's (nice time to be around by the way), is probably due to the large number of anglers that got 'caught' up in that Carp Mystique.

Regards

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Edited by Rob J

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

I think it's fair to say that carp fishing started nationwide in the 1970s, because before that, there were very few waters that held them. Vast areas of the country were without any carp waters at all, so you were in an exclusive clique if you had access to the few that existed. This is especially true if we are talking about king carp, rather than farm pond wildies.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I think it's fair to say that carp fishing started nationwide in the 1970s, because before that, there were very few waters that held them. Vast areas of the country were without any carp waters at all, so you were in an exclusive clique if you had access to the few that existed. This is especially true if we are talking about king carp, rather than farm pond wildies.

And since then just about every damp patch has been stocked with them. <_<

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John