why use bivvys?

Peter M

yeah right.

tackle manufacturers go to the trouble of designing and making specific products specifically to rip us off :rolleyes:

If you think a £20 dome tent from Argos/ Tesco etc is suitable long term, then best of luck to you as you will eventually have a really miserable night when your tent gets destroyed by the elements.

Been there, done that. Worn the soaking wet T shirt :rolleyes:

In some cases they do Mark, most of the Dome style Bivvies are just a Dome tent when all is said and done.

Most Dome Tents are fine for BST use in most situations.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bivvy is basically a green dome tent. It's one of the Shakespeare cypry dome things with the bendy poles. It cost about £50 and I've had it for about 5 years now. Some of the poles are now a bit cracked (which doesn't seem to matter) but apart from that it's in great condition. It's been out in all weather and all times of the year. Most importantly, it wraps up into a small bag and isn't heavy.

I don't suppose it'd survive a tree falling on it but I've never felt the need for a 'proper' bivvy. Aside from the expense, it's the size and weight that put me off. Plus they usually have separate groundsheets, and I prefer a built-in one.

It takes about 10 minutes to erect, which admittedly is about 9.5 minutes longer than some proper ones, but it's still only 10 minutes!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I should stress that my dome tent isn't an Argos or Tesco £20 one! But it certainly didn't cost as much as one of Basil Brush's creations, £250, Boom Boom indeed! My other, four berth, family tent didn't cost that and that has standing headroom with almost enough space to set up a table tennis table, a sewn in groundsheet and two separate sleeping compartments!

I've had my dome tent pushed as flat as my granny's tits many a time and it's not broke yet.

The best purchase I ever made was this Pop Up Bivvy, they said it would erect in seconds and I thought "Ive heard geese fart before" but it really does, I have weathered storms in it, I must add I only use it as a day shelter, but it justs folds down in one action and comes in a carry bag the size of a keep net

When I bought it about 12 years ago it was about £35, its not that bad now

Here's the link

http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/bivvy/index.htm

its a gardner pop up bivvy clone.

heres my not so pop up sea fishing bivvy ,several times more HH than "real" bivvies and new several more 1000 £'s too,bit windy that day my blooming TV aerial drooped!

nylon is the worst form of covering you can imagine its not UV stable ,canvas although old fashioned is and looked after will last at least 30 years ,Cate 10 is the best available any other canvas is inferior.

we'l be roughing it in our treble skinned one in a couple of weeks

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Some tent manufacturers do make bivvies http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog..._Dome_Tent.html

If you only want to spend £20 to £30 though, you might as well throw your money away.

Of course, you could always buy one of these http://campingdirect.co.uk/index.php?page=...t&Itemid=12

Now reduced to only £899 - and it only has a single skin, although it does have a 4000mm hydrostatic head.

Edited by Peter Sharpe

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

heres my not so pop up sea fishing bivvy ,several times more HH than "real" bivvies and new several more 1000 £'s too,bit windy that day my blooming TV aerial drooped!

nylon is the worst form of covering you can imagine its not UV stable ,canvas although old fashioned is and looked after will last at least 30 years ,Cate 10 is the best available any other canvas is inferior.

we'l be roughing it in our treble skinned one in a couple of weeks

Hydrostatic head is useless in comparisons in nylon tents/bivvies yes the material maybe but the seams are the weakpoints ,in nylon seams using nylon thread the seams have to be taped showing they are not watertight ,in canvas both the seams and thread are natural and when wet swell closing up the thread holes and seams themselves ,tape used in nylon seams is also sticking to the waterproof part of the laminate so the tape is never 100% stuck anyway :(

canvas also doesn't get so much condensation either but can wick water if touched unlike nylon.

nylon is used because its light and cheap ,ripstop nylon is more expensive ,canvas slightly more and 10 cart canvas the best ,if they can invent a UV stable nylon and weave it with canvas you would have a very good material ,they have a blend but ofcourse its not UV stable enough to get the lifespan of cotton canvas!!!manufacturers dont like the though of someone owning something for 40 years so deliberately stint on the material to ensure it dosn't unless you pay a very high premium

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

You may be right Chesters, I bought mine 12 or 15 years ago it was on special offer in Anglers Mail or AT, it wasn't bought from Jacksons, I only used that link because thats all I could find, in fact mine is actually called a "Pop a Bivvy" not Pop UP Bivvy, mine certainly looks like that, whether that one is the same grade as mine , I don't know

Edit

Just found the "Pop A Bivvy", it has the round badge on the top front like mine

http://www.archeryworld.co.uk/acatalog/Tents_Umbrella.html

Edited by Team Man

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Most of the medium priced tents out this year are made of ripstop polyester that has been treated to prevent deterioration by UV rays. The Ten Cate canvas is heavier, but you don't need a fly sheet because it is both waterproof and breathable. I believe there is a manufacturer producing a blend of canvas and polyester, but the name escapes me at the moment.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.