Back to an old water

Team Man

A water I used to fish, a few years ago closed for fishing, and I heard it had been turned into a Wildlife sanctuary, then a few weeks ago I heard fishing was allowed by appointment only, so the other day I went to see the owner, what had happened he had so much problem with youngsters causing mayhem that he had had enough so he closed the fishery.

But then over the last few years he completely fenced the area with 6 foot chain link fence and put gates into the car park then gates into the fishery, dredged the walkway between the two waters and made one lake and took out all the platforms from the swims.

Now if you want to fish it you have to ring him first, there is Roach, Rudd, Bream, Carp, and ruddy great eels, I don’t recall having Tench out of there, but here is the Bonus it’s only £2 a day for an OAP, I can’t remember whether he said £3 or £4 for normal adult, I think he just wants a few regular guys on the water, he can’t be doing it for the money, the fencing alone must have cost him a fortune, I’ve fenced a 1½ Acre field with 4 foot chain link so I know what it costs.

So I’m pleased to be back, and it’s only a couple of mile up the road.

Alan

I must be doing something right, I'm still alive

Always nice to hear of water coming 'back in action'.

Let's hope people treat it with respect.

Lets hope so.

When I went there the other day there was only three old guys on there, you do have to ring first to get your permission.

It's quite messy on the grass all around, there are quite a few Geese and other ducks and water birds, I should think trying to float a crust now will be shear hell

Alan

Its funny how things turn around. Before I moved to Suffolk, I used to fish the River Dove a lot around the Uttoxeter area and to be honest I have missed this very much to such an extent that I have just been on the website to be put on the waiting list. As I travel around the country a lot it would be great to be able to re visit my old haunts not to mention that it is a fantastic river. :P

If you can find a normal adult on this forum, I'll plait sawdust....

Seriously though, I'd love to hear how you get on fishing there. Sounds like it could be fun.

Janet

As soon as these cold easterly winds we have at the moment, drop, then I will go along and try the lake again, here in flat south Lincolnshire an easterly is pretty cold and there's nothing to stop it

Alan

A water I used to fish, a few years ago closed for fishing, and I heard it had been turned into a Wildlife sanctuary, then a few weeks ago I heard fishing was allowed by appointment only, so the other day I went to see the owner, what had happened he had so much problem with youngsters causing mayhem that he had had enough so he closed the fishery.

But then over the last few years he completely fenced the area with 6 foot chain link fence and put gates into the car park then gates into the fishery, dredged the walkway between the two waters and made one lake and took out all the platforms from the swims.

Now if you want to fish it you have to ring him first, there is Roach, Rudd, Bream, Carp, and ruddy great eels, I don’t recall having Tench out of there, but here is the Bonus it’s only £2 a day for an OAP, I can’t remember whether he said £3 or £4 for normal adult, I think he just wants a few regular guys on the water, he can’t be doing it for the money, the fencing alone must have cost him a fortune, I’ve fenced a 1½ Acre field with 4 foot chain link so I know what it costs.

So I’m pleased to be back, and it’s only a couple of mile up the road.

where is this lake then, im in sleaford, only about half hour by road from spalding !!

where is this lake then, im in sleaford, only about half hour by road from spalding !!

In the Village of Quadring, just come along the A152 from Donington to the cross roads in the middle of Quadring, turn right at the cross roads, down there about 1/2 mile, over the rail crossing, just past a transport yard, and its on the left....it's only a small lake/pond

Alan

In the Village of Quadring, just come along the A152 from Donington to the cross roads in the middle of Quadring, turn right at the cross roads, down there about 1/2 mile, over the rail crossing, just past a transport yard, and its on the left....it's only a small lake/pond

If it helps I think I have found it on Google Maps - Satellite view:

Click Here

Google Maps or Google earth is very useful for finding places to fish and I have found three places in Peterborough that I have not found elsewhere because of it.

• 3 weeks later...
If you can find a normal adult on this forum, I'll plait sawdust....

Seriously though, I'd love to hear how you get on fishing there. Sounds like it could be fun.

Janet

Went there yesterday, strong sun, quite windy, not my ideal conditions but I had made my mind up to go a few days ago.

I rang on Sunday to say I would like to fish Monday, he said he is not open Mondays as he cuts the grass, but being the nice man he is he said he would leave the gate unlocked after midday if I wanted to fish, but I would be the only one.

After walking around and choosing a swim, I tackled up and settled down, put up the brolly to shield myself from the sun and try and cut the wind down a bit, after trying fishing various depths on pellet with no success, I then tried small worm, Bingo, a nice Roach, then another and another and another, must have been about 24 I should think.

By now the few worms I had dug up were getting a bit depleted, so I opened a tin of Luncheon meat and had a few more Roach, then I picked up a dreaded Eel, managed to get the hook out, which is one of the few times I've ever managed to retrieve a hook from an Eel.

Baited up with Luncheon meat again, dropped in the water and the float shot away as it hit the water, I struck, and it shot across the water like a steam train I couldn't hold it, then it turned and shot to my right, and, PING, the hook had gone, No idea what it was, gathered myself together, tied a new hook, and dropped in again after a few minutes the float shot under, and I knew I had got something good, it was taking line from the clutch, I couldn't wind him, I could only do it when he came towards me , then it took more line again, eventually after two to three minutes he began to tire, and I got him to the net, had to lift it out holding the net itself, a nice common Carp.......I didn't have a camera with me, and like a fool I didn't weigh it, I was so gobsmacked... it was a PB

Its good to be back on an old water

Alan