Centrepin Reels

tincatinca

Well, it's a very important collection. I'd sell my wife and three kids for it.

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no intrepids then :whistling:

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Will any rod fit the bill for these centrepins or do you guys have a preference? I'm interested in length, rigidity, rod eyes and butt? Strange question I know but I haven't a clue. It looks like a giant fly rod to me so could you in theory use a 5/6 wt?

ps Nice collections!

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Will any rod fit the bill for these centrepins or do you guys have a preference? I'm interested in length, rigidity, rod eyes and butt? Strange question I know but I haven't a clue. It looks like a giant fly rod to me so could you in theory use a 5/6 wt?

ps Nice collections!

Jeff did you mean "giant fly reel"?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

take a peek at these

http://www.climaxtackle.com/fox_match/envoy_stick_rods.htm

very nice rods at the right price ,with spliced tips to help set the hook at distance when using fine lines !

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Guest tigger

ps Nice collections!

A match rod is best suited for use with a centrepin (if your trotting). I like to use my Normark 13ft Avenger for most of my centrepin fishing as it's quite a powerful match rod but also light so is easy to hold for long periods whilst trotting. I also have a Normark Titan 13 to 15 ft which is good if I want to fish a little further out. If your ledgering or float fishing with a centrepin reel then the weight of the rod is less important as you will most likley be putting the rod down on a rest.

As I tend to trot for larger fish I use and avon type of rod with decent sized eyes on it and a throughish type of action with progressive power running through the blank.

As with all things in angling there are no hard and fast rules its a case of evaluating the opportunities that you have in your location and adapting your tackle to meet the challenges you face.

In my case I am fortunate to be able to trot for barbel during the summer in some fairly pacey water and in the winter there are some very large grayling that I can chase and in between I have areas where I can trot a prawn for salmon should I choose to do so.

However dont just use your pin for trotting it is a super tool for light ledgering where you are moving your bait around a river bed casting it and eventually retrieving it unless a fish picks it up.

The only thing I counsell against is trying to Wallis cast heavy feeders as the penalties for getting it wrong can be a bit severe!

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Jeff did you mean "giant fly reel"?

I did Budgie. It was pretty late when I posted. :) I'm going to expand my horizons... I just signed up for one of the AN pins. I'll have a look around and see what I have that is compatible. Now I have to see if Wallis casting is somewhere in youtube. I have seen it described.. Somewhere.

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

ps Nice collections!

I use my pins in a number of different ways with a number of different rods some examples below.

Margin fishing for Carp with a Carp rod

Trotting with different match rods between 12 and 18 feet in length. Spliced tip for Roach, Dace and smaller fish. Hollow tip for larger fish such as Chub.

Trotting for Barbel with a 12 foot Avon or light Carp rod.(between 1.25 and 1.75lb test curve.

Ledgering with a variety of rods.

Tench fishing with a Power float rod in conjunction with a Polaris float and feeder.

In some cases I fish the pin with line coming off the top of the reel and in others coming off the bottom although if you want to learn how to Wallis cast it is much better for the line to come off the bottom.

It is also useful to have a trotting rod with an extra rod ring mounted between the Reel and what is nornally the first rod ring as this enables you to pull up pull up to three loops with the fingers which gives you a bit of extra casting distance. This is most useful if you are in a tight swim and where a mistake using a Wallis cast would leave you with a right mares nest. With a bit of imagination you can use a pin in a number of ways on a number of rods however the main use is for trotting and of course it also depends upon where you fish, for example, on the upper reaches of some rivers or streams you may find that you need a shorter rod whereas on the larger rivers he additional length may be required. One thing for certain is that once mastered they are great fun to use.