Centrepin Reels

tincatinca

I did Budgie. It was pretty late when I posted. :) I'm going to expand my horizons... I just signed up for one of the AN pins. I'll have a look around and see what I have that is compatible. Now I have to see if Wallis casting is somewhere in youtube. I have seen it described.. Somewhere.

Described:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...allis_cast.html

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=736

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=752

Video

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...ting_video.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John fly reels are not normally free running enough to trot with as you will see when you compare one to your AN pin when it arrives.

Tinca mentions the only modification that I woulds have on a dedicated pin rod ie the extra butt ring (or two).

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger

I have an 11ft Greys greyflex spinning rod I reckon would be just the job to use with a pin for larger fish on the rivers as it really is light and comfy to hold. I'm sure if it's rated for throwing 45grm lures all day it must have a half decent test curve and should cope with even the biggest Barb.

I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in many ways (if you ignore my tench fishing!) but I do prefer to use the best/most appropriate tools for the job. So the only time I use a centrepin is when trotting. I can't see any benefit in using one for anything else, a decent fixed-spool reel is so much better!

Still, for trotting, a centrepin is just perfect. Three days to go, and I'll be back at my little streams, guiding an avon float downstream to the spot where you just know you'll get a bite... :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Can't help thinking it's time that we had a Centrepin Society.

Organising pinpeditions and pin-ins.

Competitive field pin-casting events with different casting styles.

A website, and a twice a year magazine full of pinography.

A 'conservation' section campaigning for flowing water and grayling.

A saltwater section to organise mullet meets.

A forum with endless and bitter arguments about the traditional values of pinning, versus technical developments (such as pins with retrieve motors and line counters).

OK, who's going to do the Society Logo, organise the first pin-in, and where do I send my £20 membership fee?

:)

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Lots of people think that pins are just another faddy,one up manship type item.Used more for the reason of looking different/cool than for any practical use.

For me this is simply not the case.For trotting they are the ultimate tool for the job.Im sure many on here get them after reading us raving about them just to be part of the "in crowd" but I bet once they have used one they never go back to anything else for float fishing top and bottom floats on the river!

I must admit that I too went through a phase of using pins for everything just because they were so much fun.

I reckon AN members and AN Grayling fish ins have done more for the popularity of pins than Mr Wallis ever did!

I often ask this question but have never really recieved an answer,why do people say that the line must come off the bottom of the spool to Wallis cast?

Lots of people think that pins are just another faddy,one up manship type item.Used more for the reason of looking different/cool than for any practical use.

For me this is simply not the case.For trotting they are the ultimate tool for the job.Im sure many on here get them after reading us raving about them just to be part of the "in crowd" but I bet once they have used one they never go back to anything else for float fishing top and bottom floats on the river!

I must admit that I too went through a phase of using pins for everything just because they were so much fun.

I reckon AN members and AN Grayling fish ins have done more for the popularity of pins than Mr Wallis ever did!

I often ask this question but have never really recieved an answer,why do people say that the line must come off the bottom of the spool to Wallis cast?

That is a very good question. I use both methods but in my own case I have found that If you are casting which involves a spinning drum, it is better coming off the bottom of the reel as there is less chance of the line becoming snagged as it is falling away from the reel whereas coming off the top the line falls onto the reel and there is a greater chance of getting caught up . I think that one of the main reasons problems occur is if the reel is not in the vertical position when casting resulting in line coming off at an angle which would be more likely to cause a problem if it was coming off the top of the reel however If I am using the multi loop method of casting then I always have the line coming off the top with the drum being trapped with my forefinger. I think to be honest that you will get different answers dependent on what works for the individual. On the other hand you can get a Ray Walton rolling pin, fill it with braid and have the best of all worlds. ;) Anderoo mentions that a fixed spool is a more effective tool for most types of fishing and that in most cases is true but for me they are not as much fun. :D

there is less chance of the line becoming snagged as it is falling away from the reel whereas coming off the top the line falls onto the reel and there is a greater chance of getting caught up . I think that one of the main reasons problems occur is if the reel is not in the vertical position when casting resulting in line coming off at an angle which would be more likely to cause a problem if it was coming off the top of the reel however If I am using the multi loop method of casting then I always have the line coming off the top with the drum being trapped with my forefinger.

One of the reasons I dont have handles on my pins. I do however get quite a few tangles where thew line has wraped around the reel seat. I dont know what I would find more of a problem though,the tangle on casting or the tangles you get when catching the line (from the bottom of the reel) on things.I also think comming off the top is smoother for trotting light stick floats. I really should try it with the line off the bottom though just to see.

Leon is right though a day getting together and "field casting" would be well interesting.

Edited by BUDGIE

One of the reasons I dont have handles on my pins. I do however get quite a few tangles where thew line has wraped around the reel seat. I dont know what I would find more of a problem though,the tangle on casting or the tangles you get when catching the line (from the bottom of the reel) on things.I also think comming off the top is smoother for trotting light stick floats. I really should try it with the line off the bottom though just to see.

Leon is right though a day getting together and "field casting" would be well interesting.

Budgie, like yourself I prefer to trot a stick with the line coming off the top as I think you have better control even though you sometimes as you say get the line round the reel seat. To be honest when fishing rivers I prefer to use the multi loop method in conjunction with a longer rod as it is very rare that I require more distance than can be achieved using that conbo. On lakes I use a polaris type float alot in conjunction with a feeder and as you can imagine with that weight on the end I can get some spectacular birds nests when I get over ambitious or am not concentrating.