Centrepin Reels

tincatinca

I have recently acquired this Paul Witcher creation, the Avon Elite. It is 4 and 1/3inch diameter, and has a 4/5inch drum. The reel is Number 47, which was made in September 1995, and is one of about 15 in this specification. Paul has just serviced and tuned it for me, and it runs so exquisitely it makes your hairs stand up. The spool will start turning if you sigh on it, and it eventually stops three and a half minutes after a good tap. The spin is undoubtedly enchanted, being tight and true and utterly vibrationless and soundless. It turns so freely and lightly that it will start to rotate in the opposite direction after it’s stopped. The whole reel weighs only 222g, and the spool is light enough to run spontaneously under the pull of a 2BB stick float on a slow-paced swim. It is quite simply a perfect reel, and I’m hugely privileged to own it.

post-10066-1216461635_thumb.jpg

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently acquired this Paul Witcher creation, the Avon Elite. It is 4 and 1/3inch diameter, and has a 4/5inch drum. The reel is Number 47, which was made in September 1995, and is one of about 15 in this specification. Paul has just serviced and tuned it for me, and it runs so exquisitely it makes your hairs stand up. The spool will start turning if you sigh on it, and it eventually stops three and a half minutes after a good tap. The spin is undoubtedly enchanted, being tight and true and utterly vibrationless and soundless. It turns so freely and lightly that it will start to rotate in the opposite direction after it’s stopped. The whole reel weighs only 222g, and the spool is light enough to run spontaneously under the pull of a 2BB stick float on a slow-paced swim. It is quite simply a perfect reel, and I’m hugely privileged to own it.

A beautiful reel indeed. Will only get better wiyh age. Wish I had one..

Guest tigger

Without doubt a beautifull reel. Is this the one sold on ebay recently? I think you'll have some fun with it !

• 3 months later...

Pins.jpg

Left to right:

Paul Witcher Bisterne Aerial 4” wide drum

Paul Witcher Avon Elite 4 ½” narrow drum

Richard Carter Aerial Gem 4” wide drum

Allcocks Match Aerial 4 ½” narrow drum

Okuma Sheffield 4 ½” narrow drum

Allcocks Aerial 3 ¾” wide drum

Right. That's my lot. No more centrepins!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Don't do that Force thing. Dammit.

Ive often wondered how many of us unknowingly bid against each other on the likes of Ebay for such reels? Might be worth our while "co ordinating" such things?

I would think at times several of us but who gets to win. A few years ago I had a situation where I had set my mind on something, I cant remember now what it was but it was near Christmas and to cut a long story short I finished up in a bidding war with my son who was at Uni at the time and who unbeknown to me had been talking with my wife as to what I wanted for Christmas. I eventually won the item but of course later when my son eventually found out that I had got the item that he had also been bidding for there was mirth all round apart from the two of us who felt like a right pair of idiots

Right. That's my lot. No more centrepins!

Mmm.........Yeah...........right......... ;) ...........don't kid yourself MT cos your not kiddin me cockle :lol:

:D Been there as well Tinca! With some of the items being "repeated" ie a particular model in a similar condition it would make sense to "take turns"! I would rather wait my turn and get something at a price I could afford.After all surely us on here would only want one of any item and not want loads of the same?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!