Centrepin Reels

tincatinca

Guest tigger
I'm somewhat of a traditionalist in many ways (if you ignore my tench fishing!) but I do prefer to use the best/most appropriate tools for the job. So the only time I use a centrepin is when trotting. I can't see any benefit in using one for anything else, a decent fixed-spool reel is so much better!

Still, for trotting, a centrepin is just perfect. Three days to go, and I'll be back at my little streams, guiding an avon float downstream to the spot where you just know you'll get a bite... :)

I agree Anderoo but I reckon a Pin is also good for free lining down a river or Stret pegging. Last night I was looking at a surge of fast water which slowed down after 50ft and with the rivers up here being very much down made me think it would be a good Barbel spot with the well oxgenated water etc. Anyway on my walk back past it I saw the back of a Barb in the back end of the fast water just where I thought they might be and thought rather than chuck a lead in it would be a nice change to put on a chunk of meat and free line it (something I've never done) hence my thoughts on using the large spinning rod.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest when fishing rivers I prefer to use the multi loop method in conjunction with a longer rod as it is very rare that I require more distance than can be achieved using that conbo.

Same as.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I shall use my newly renovated Aerial for some freelining work on the rivers this Summer but only in clear swims. Tramping through chest high nettles and brambles then trying to cast over them with a pin will be a nightmare. I also shan't risk casting tight to the far bank wilows with one either.

I can't bear leaving baited hooks hanging in branches, they're wildlife death traps. I've been known on many occasions to wade across the river if it's shallow enough with my secateurs to cut the line out. Line hanging from trees is one of fishings worst adverts..

Having said that the pin will be perfect for inching bigger baits along the bottom. Can't wait.

2 1/2 days to go. It might of been fun if there was a countdown timer on the front page of the site?

Guest tigger
2 1/2 days to go. It might of been fun if there was a countdown timer on the front page of the site?

I'll be there well before midnight on Sunday, of course I'll restraine myself from casting in until after midnight........ :unsure:.........unless my watch is fast ;)

Can't help thinking it's time that we had a Centrepin Society.

Organising pinpeditions and pin-ins.

Competitive field pin-casting events with different casting styles.

A website, and a twice a year magazine full of pinography.

A 'conservation' section campaigning for flowing water and grayling.

A saltwater section to organise mullet meets.

A forum with endless and bitter arguments about the traditional values of pinning, versus technical developments (such as pins with retrieve motors and line counters).

OK, who's going to do the Society Logo, organise the first pin-in, and where do I send my £20 membership fee?

:)

well actually I know a certain centrepin geek who has started to build a site just for centrepins (and classic angling !) Its forum based but Intended more of a information centre with data on verious types of reels including pictures and stats (been collecting loads and loads of pictures of centrepins both uk & foreign jobbies ,new and old with the occational wierdo ones thrown in ,there will eventually be guides on use & care plus video guides aswell .

the site so far has only been worked on in spare time ,but i can put some more effort in soon ,and get it nearly ready.

your all welcome too have a look see .Tell me what you think !

http://centrepins.yuku.com/

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

well actually I know a certain centrepin geek who has started to build a site just for centrepins (and classic angling !) Its forum based but Intended more of a information centre with data on verious types of reels including pictures and stats (been collecting loads and loads of pictures of centrepins both uk & foreign jobbies ,new and old with the occational wierdo ones thrown in ,there will eventually be guides on use & care plus video guides aswell .

the site so far has only been worked on in spare time ,but i can put some more effort in soon ,and get it nearly ready.

your all welcome too have a look see .Tell me what you think !

http://centrepins.yuku.com/

Excellent idea as aside from Pin Rundown there is not a great deal on the net. Once populated it has the potential to become the definative place for pin geeks to look for information and to drool over the pinography. :P

• 2 weeks later...

How do you find the Youngs Purist II tigger? I've just managed to snare myself one and want to go out this weekend on the canal and fishing for Tench.

The canal is only 3 rod lengths wide and as soon as i've raked the swim i'll be using the lift method and corn/bread. I usually have around half a dozen fish to 5lb but i've never fished with a CP for Tench and i'm really looking forward to it.

The Purist seems very smooth but not 'spinning for days' like the Okuma Sheffield does. I'm not worried though as I don't think that being able to spin for days is the main attribute when looking for a CP.

James

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"

Guest tigger
How do you find the Youngs Purist II tigger?

James

JP I've only used the Purist II on two occasions trotting for Grayling but the reel was excellent and I really lik it. It's just a tad heavy compared to a lot of others but using it for Tench etc you'll have it set on rests anyway so that won't bother you. It actually feels like a very strong solid reel and is maybe one of the best CP's for Tench/barbel etc. Good luck JP!

If I was you I'd just put a little drop of oil on the pin you might find it runs a bit better. I use sewing machine oil or I got some Shimano reel oil off a friend ans that's perfect.

Edited by tigger