Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

Did a quick search and was amazed to find little on this on AN..my blood is boiling since in the last season I have experienced:-

Dog eating my lunch(while I was playing a fish).

Dog peeing on my rucksack.

Dog trying to eat a snap-tackle mounted deadbait(fortunately unsuccessful).

Dog charging over a rod laid down on ground; dragging line behind it- could have been nasty as I was tying on a deadbait to a pair of trebles at the time; again just by pure luck no damage was done.

Almost every year I experience similar problems and I'm sure I'm not alone. Not really looking to hear of similar incidents(sure the page-counter would go off the scale) but in my own experience the owners almost always do not take any responsibility for their pets' actions.

Anyone have any tactics to deal with the problem? Dog-owners....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

are you fishing public parks ?

I find the problem is significantly greater on the Heath that at Hadley Woods and not because there's just more of them but because dog owners on the Heath believe the park is their own private estate and they can do whatever they like with no consideration for anyone else be it anglers, joggers, swans...

Tony

totally agree. You hear the owner shouting and calling their dog which is totally out of control and goes where it likes. They swim in your swim and clamber all over your tacklee.

I have many a run in with uncaring selfish dog owners.

I think that all dogs should be on leads in public places.

When we are doing work parties they will come along and complain about removal of overhanging tree,s and vegetation as if we are destroying the countryside but allow their dog to roam and frighten every bird in sight unhindered.

I try and avoid heavily populated area.s but have recently started fishing 2 reservoirs which have strict rules and signs everwhere saying dogs on leads and strictly no where near water. I am yet to see a dog on a lead they are all roaming where they like and often swimming in the water.

There are lots of people out there that are scared or allergic to dogs and many children are frightened also, why should they be intimidated by careless and thoughtless owners.

I am a dog owner so am not anti dogs or indeed scared of them. I recently had a meeting with a vicious terrier that I would have killed there and then had the owner not realised the dog was on a loser and grabbed him quick. It was on private land in the countryside nowhere near a footpath.

Thats one owner and dog that does not trouble me again.

I think nationally an M.P. would get a lot of public support for a bill to make it compulsory for all dogs to be on a lead in public places.

regards

John

I am talking under correction here, but I think that ALL dogs must be on a leash in most parks/public spaces. I seem to remember guide dogs having to get at least one park per town exempted to allow guid dogs a free run.

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

are you fishing public parks ?

I find dog walkers get everywhere. The incidents mentioned happened on a mix of public footpaths beside a river, an extremely rural canal towpath and again a very rural riverbank(it was the farmers' dog).

Public parks can be bad but I don't tend to fish these too often. Have enough problems in the countryside.

On one occasion an owner did go and make good the damage(dog had just eaten my bait) but when the recent cheese sandwich eating incident happened all I got was "Didn't you try to stop him?" :o

Leave a few rancid deadbaits out for fido to eat. With luck they will then puke the whole lot up in the owner's front lounge or car on the way home. A good friend of A.N.'s late friend Argyll had that happen, it would have been most satisfying, only it was a mate's dog, but at least it proves that the theory works!!

Guest tigger

It's even worse if you have your own dog out for a walk and on a lead (under control). I keep and show dogs and always keep them on a lead in public places . If I'm out in the fields I keep a constant vigilant for other people and as soon as I see someone in the distance I put my dogs on a lead. Trouble is they don't and let their mutt's charge over fom hundreds of yards away. Usually their dogs will run around me trying to bite my dogs and in the meantime I'm getting dragged all over trying to keep them all appart. On occasion I haven't been able to keep their dogs at bay and have had a full scale battle at my feet. As I have a Bull breed it's instantly my fault as I shouldn't have "dangerous dogs" cheeky *****.

one off the worst places i have been for this is woodlands at gainsboro where it is the owners dogs that roam around freely causing havoc you tell him and all he can say is well dont bother coming back then .an excellant fishery that is been spoilt by this problem ,but i suppose we are fishing in his back garden so it is our choice

tigger,

Maybe sometimes you should when the other owner complains let yours off the lead and show the idiot what your breed can really do. :o

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

Guest tigger
tigger,

Maybe sometimes you should when the other owner complains let yours off the lead and show the idiot what your breed can really do. :o

Yeah it makes you feel like that but it would just make matters worse, there would be the old cry......"dangerous dogs" when in reality they're the ones with that (an out of control animal). Well I'm wrong there, it's not their dogs fault at all it's their owners who are totally numb and have no respect for anyone or anything but unfortunatly it's the poor old mutt's who get the blame.

Edited by tigger