Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

This is a reasonable topic for discussing dogs and anglers. Will the pair of you who enjoy fighting with each other please take it elsewhere and confine yourselves to discussing dogs and anglers on this topic.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the dog should return to its master the second the owner calls it. If yours doesn't then you have no business taking it out without a lead.

As someone who knows nothing about dogs, this sounds like extremely sensible advice. Does anyone disagree..if so why?

The canal bank where I sometimes fish is covered with dog muck and it can be difficult finding somewhere to set up because of it.I think there are some dog walkers who don't take there dogs out to exercise them but simply to empty them,as on many occasion I have seen people turn around and walk back the way they came as soon as the dog has done its business just leaving it steaming on the bank.knotsford lagoon in otley west yorkshire is owned by bradford no1 and they have banned people from bringing there dogs,but you still get members of the general public trying to walk in with there dogs,they are usually told they tresspassing by a club bailiff or one of the anglers,consequently there are no piles of s**t.

Did a quick search and was amazed to find little on this on AN..

Now you know why Jim. It has been discussed before and usually ends with an argument.

I seem to remember one such thread being deleted, (apologies if I'm wrong).

It seems to me that dog owners (a strange term to my mind), assume that everyone feels the same way about dogs as they do. It's assumed that there is something strange about a person that is not a 'dog lover'.

I'm not a dog lover or hater. I don't keep a dog, but some of my friends and family members do. I was brought up with dogs, my uncle used to breed Shetlands (no not ponies), but I don't feel the need for dogs in my life.

I don't appreciate owners who say "It's alright he's friendly", I don't give a damn whether he's friendly, nosey, playing or any other adjective they want to use, I'm fishing and I don't want the attentions of their dog while I'm doing it.

I don't want the dog poking about in my tackle bag, I don't want it licking me, I don't want it peeing on my gear, and I certainly don't want great piles of it's excrement lying in wait for me to sit in, stand in, or put my gear in.

There are times when I visit friends or family and I will play with the dog, take it for a walk, pet it, and all those things that some people cannot last a day without doing. Those things are done when and where I choose, and I don't want someone else to decide when and where that should be.

All it needs is a bit of thought from the person 'in charge' of the dog, and a lot of aggro' can be avoided.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Leave a sprat on the bank with a massive pair of razor sharp barbed trebels in :lol: is there anything you could spray on them you dont like? My dads a postman and he has problems with dogs, in the past hes kicked them (gently) in the face and whacked them with bunches of letters and the owners have been pretty mortified but ok about it.

Guest Jan V

our mail carriers have pepper spray or mace to use on unruly animals that come at them. my sister-in-law would never deliver her route w/o it. we can also buy something similar to pepper spray and I have taken it with me on walks in areas where I will be alone and little people are around. it works because i had tested to make sure it sprayed and then, like an idiot, rubbed my face. don't imagine the owners would be very civil when they found out what you did to their dog, though. (i was attacked by a great dane and a st. bernard in my younger years and am afraid of most dogs. they say dogs can sense fear.)

Now you know why Jim. It has been discussed before and usually ends with an argument.

I seem to remember one such thread being deleted, (apologies if I'm wrong).

It seems to me that dog owners (a strange term to my mind), assume that everyone feels the same way about dogs as they do. It's assumed that there is something strange about a person that is not a 'dog lover'.

I'm not a dog lover or hater. I don't keep a dog, but some of my friends and family members do. I was brought up with dogs, my uncle used to breed Shetlands (no not ponies), but I don't feel the need for dogs in my life.

I don't appreciate owners who say "It's alright he's friendly", I don't give a damn whether he's friendly, nosey, playing or any other adjective they want to use, I'm fishing and I don't want the attentions of their dog while I'm doing it.

I don't want the dog poking about in my tackle bag, I don't want it licking me, I don't want it peeing on my gear, and I certainly don't want great piles of it's excrement lying in wait for me to sit in, stand in, or put my gear in.

There are times when I visit friends or family and I will play with the dog, take it for a walk, pet it, and all those things that some people cannot last a day without doing. Those things are done when and where I choose, and I don't want someone else to decide when and where that should be.

All it needs is a bit of thought from the person 'in charge' of the dog, and a lot of aggro' can be avoided.

John.

I could'nt have put it better

Peter M wrote:

What most dog owners don't realise is that they don't really know their pets as well as they think they do. Very well trained working dogs aside your average pooch is only half trained. This is true particullarly when you call a dog to heel. you must of seen it, most owners are screaming "fluffy fluffy come here you sod fluffy" all the while the dog is continuing to run around, snuffle through your bait box etc. the dog should return to its master the second the owner calls it. If yours doesn't then you have no business taking it out without a lead. Otherwise the dog may do something that you don't expect as highlighted by boldbear. a semi trained dog is actually semi wild.

I totally agree with what Peter M wrote.

I have had dogs as long as I can remember (since the early 50s) although I haven't had one for the last couple of years.

The wifes father (now deceased) used to be a dustman when people had the big metal dustbins, and there was a house with a jack russel who was always barking around his legs whenever he collected the bin. The owner refused to keep the dog inside the house when asked to on the bin collection day, so one day after the bin was emptied he just turned the bin upside down over the dog. the owner always kept it inside after that. In hindsight he should have just refused to empty the owners bin, but it made me laugh when he told me.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

fair enough when we are fishing we dont want to be disturbed but it happens, i dont want to be disturbed by kids, idiots on motorbikes, boats deliberately going over my line, rats, etc but it happens and i deal with it because the majority of the time on the bank i am happy, if i suggested harming most of the other "annoyances" most people would frown upon it

i dont want to come across as a internet hardman or get into any arguements because i come on here to talk about an interest i share with most of you, and i understand that people are going to have a difference of opinion

i am not a peta whiner or a animal rights activist but the person who suggested putting treble hooks in a sprat and feeding it to a dog (whos owner is the one who needs feeding the hooks) did that to my dog, it would be about as OK as my reaction which would be to introduce my filleting knife to his throat to see how he likes it (might be out of term to some people on here but so what.. )

my dog as made me feel more comfortable at 8pm in the evening on a saturday night when i am taking a walk around a lake to suss it out for the next days fishing where there are bits of human rubbish filled with cider wondering around as water seems to attract idiots for some reason,

at the end of the day MOST dogs are harmless and any one who thinks its clever to hurt them when the owner is the problem to me are the annoying ones, give me the dogs any day

IMHO I think that anglers should photograph areas where there is a lot of dog fouling etc. and send it to the local council, asking them to do something about it. They will, if they bother to reply, send you a load of guff saying that they haven't got the staff and they can't police everywhere.

Keep the photos.

When (not if) there is a hue and cry about angling YOBS leaving rubbish at the water, reply with the photos and a copy of our letter/s.

I am sick and tired of people picking on the anglers about rubbish!! I have a water near me which is beautiful. Every 30yards or so there is a bin that is emptied daily! Outside the water, in the public road, there are squashed cans (alcoholic and non-alcoholic), papers of all description, broken glass etc.

And they blame the anglers!!!

I am not saying anglers don't have yobs in their midst, but not to the extent non-anglers are trying to make out we do!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription