Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

water seems to attract idiots for some reason,

That's true Mike, and some of them even take dogs with them.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah it would seem that dogs would make better company than some of the anglers.

Each to their own Mike, it's having the choice that's important.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I know dogs can be annoying especially when you have paid your day ticket,rod license etc, and just because someone cant be bothered to keep there animal on a lead when they know its going to be a nuisance and you have to suffer.

But the answer isnt to cause harm to the dogs, because that just makes the angler look bad

one of my local parks as a lake with free fishing and is a really nice venue and fishes well but there are the people with nothing better to do who constantly complain blaming anglers for all the litter and blaming bird deaths on abandoned line etc, if someone there was to leave food out for a dog with treble hooks in it i doubt the headlines would be "menacing poodle taught a lesson not to sniff anglers backs" but more likely " sadistic fishermen not happy putting hooks in the mouths of fish turn to injuring family pets"

not only that if the owner has an idea who is responsible for his pride and joy needing to be fed pedigree chum threw a tube i think he is going to want revenge

I don't like dogs full stop, so my comments are going to be a little...one-sided :D

If I could click my fingers and live in a dog-free world I'd do it in a second. Horrible things. You can blame the owners but to me that's a bit like saying guns aren't dangerous, it's the bullets. It's always the 'other owners' as well, isn't it :rolleyes:

However, properly trained 'softy' ones like a nice labrador are OK. Why anyone wants to keep a potentially dangerous animal of any description is a mystery to me.

Cats, on the other hand, are evil geniuses. Ace :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
I don't like dogs full stop, so my comments are going to be a little...one-sided :D

If I could click my fingers and live in a dog-free world I'd do it in a second. Horrible things. You can blame the owners but to me that's a bit like saying guns aren't dangerous, it's the bullets. It's always the 'other owners' as well, isn't it :rolleyes:

However, properly trained 'softy' ones like a nice labrador are OK. Why anyone wants to keep a potentially dangerous animal of any description is a mystery to me.

Cats, on the other hand, are evil geniuses. Ace :)

:lol: Top biting breed in the country........Labrador.

Cats.......evil yeah, geniuses no just sly nasties who's owners (majority) turf them out at night letting them cause havock destroying wildlife, crapping in peoples gardens, destroying peoples plants and spreading cat AIDS. :P

Notice James Bonds enemies always cuddle a evil stinky cat and thankfully they always get their comeuppance. B)

There's only one type of Pussy I like and it isn't Mrs Slocambes either !!! :lol:

Yeh and people "choose" to go to public places with there dogs fact of life,

I have no problem with people taking their dogs for a walk Mike. Just so long as they keep them under full control, don't expect everyone to feel the same way about little (or big) Rover, clean up the mess they might make, and take it away with them. That way they can "choose" to walk their dogs, and I can "choose" to not have them bother me.

Is that expecting too much?

John.

Edited by gozzer

I think there is a degree of responsibility to be taken on both sides regarding dogs and fishing.

I don't like the way owners let them walk on way ahead off the lead which means they sniff around me and my kit until some time later the owner ambles up and stands there calling the dog's name repeatedly until it realises it's got no choice but to obey in that way that dogs do. 'Oh i'm sorry etc etc....'

But I also think we have to realise that unless their is a ban on dogs at a particular venue, these people have a right to use the places we go fishing as much as we do. I quite enjoy the banter you get with some dog walkers, and tarring them all with the same brush is a bit narrow minded.

Over the years i've found most dogs are fine and just keep on walking - much better behaved than some of the anglers i've seen!

It's all down to the individual, you get some bad dogs, mostly good ones, and you also get some bad anglers, but mostly good ones. It's all relative and if you average it out over a period of time i'm sure most of the dogs that have walked past without fuss have been forgotten about, but it's the one's that bury their nose in your bait bowl that you remember!

"if i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer!"