Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

I think there is a degree of responsibility to be taken on both sides regarding dogs and fishing.

I agree wholeheartedly James.

I always act responsibly when on a fishery.

I don't interfere with other anglers, just let them get on with it. If they ask for help then I give it if I can, but otherwise leave them undisturbed.

I don't interfere with dog walkers or their dogs.

In fact as long as the people I see are acting legally then I leave them alone, and expect the same courtesy in return.

A nod, a good day or whatever, is fine by me, but I don't want their life story, I don't want to discuss politics or last weeks football, and I don't want their furry friends, companion, or "pride and joy" poking about in my fishing tackle.

I think that's a responsible attitude.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the subject of clearing up after little Fido, what I have been seeing more and more often is multi coloured plastic bags full of dog **** laying next to the path, in the car park, or hanging from bushes. Given that the bags take an awful long time to rot down and disappear, this is causing more problems than the dog **** did in the first place.

If you bag it (well done :thumbs: ) then please take it home or dispose of it in an appropriate bin, or you just aint helping.

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have no problem with people taking their dogs for a walk Mike. Just so long as they keep them under full control, don't expect everyone to feel the same way about little (or big) Rover, clean up the mess they might make, and take it away with them. That way they can "choose" to walk their dogs, and I can "choose" to not have them bother me.

Is that expecting too much?

John.

no i would say that is perfectly reasonable, like my wanting to combine my dog walking with checking on a lake. if i am going to walk the dog i might as well do it somewhere i enjoy being yes i carry a tesco bag with me so no one gets dog poo on there shiny wellys and am respectful to other anglers and dont go shouting my dogs name everywhere or throwing sticks or anything that would upset anyones fishing, my dog does tend to wag his tale at passing angers because most of them encourage him and he cant spot the difference between the dog friendly ones,

is it too much for me to ask that if have to walk the dog anyway to do it somewhere i actually want to be and where MOST people dont mind without worrying if some idiot as planted any food with sharp objects in or anything else that will cause harm to the dog or make it make mess in my home that i would have to clean up

or is that expecting too much ?

I regularly have a problem with a pitbull on my local water, i've seen it attacking other dogs round the area aswell. That breed especially should be kept on a lead at ALL times. usually make sure i've got something to fend it off with whenever i go there.

is it too much for me to ask that if have to walk the dog anyway to do it somewhere i actually want to be and where MOST people don't mind without worrying if some idiot as planted any food with sharp objects in or anything else that will cause harm to the dog or make it make mess in my home that i would have to clean up

or is that expecting too much ?

As I've said, I have no problem with you taking your dog for a walk, if it's under control.

I have never harmed a dog, (except in defence of my family, myself or my property), and would never do so, or agree with anyone who did.

As you say your dog does not know who's a 'doggy' person and who's not. It's up to you as the person in control of the dog to make that decision. If you are in full control of the dog, then the situation shouldn't arise where someone such as myself would be pestered by it.

I know of a few people who are afraid of dogs for several reasons, (irrational or not) it is a real phobia, that can leave them terrified.

The words, "he won't harm you" or "he's just being friendly", don't make any difference to the situation, it is a real fear.

People who keep dogs should realise that not everyone shares their feelings for the animal, and should make sure that those that don't, shouldn't have to be put in the situation where they are pestered, or (in more extreme cases) frightened by them.

I know how quite a few members on AN would react, if I were to walk up to them, and then hold out a spider.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Guest Rabbit
I agree wholeheartedly James.

I always act responsibly when on a fishery.

I don't interfere with other anglers, just let them get on with it. If they ask for help then I give it if I can, but otherwise leave them undisturbed.

I don't interfere with dog walkers or their dogs.

In fact as long as the people I see are acting legally then I leave them alone, and expect the same courtesy in return.

A nod, a good day or whatever, is fine by me, but I don't want their life story, I don't want to discuss politics or last weeks football, and I don't want their furry friends, companion, or "pride and joy" poking about in my fishing tackle.

I think that's a responsible attitude.

John.

Bet you are a laugh a minute at a fish-in

Interfere what do mean by interfere John? Most anglers I know enjoy a bit of a chin wag, even share a cuppa from the flask...blimey and I thought you Yorkshire folk were friendly. Don't like dogs as well.....surely not, everyone should like dogs, I mean whats there NOT to like about dogs? You should get one you really should :D

Eeeeeeek!

I know how quite a few members on AN would react, if I were to walk up to them, and then hold out a spider.

John, hold that thought.....

Spiders are one thing (and I don't doooooo spiders......) but dogs are another. I'm not a dog lover, but I'm not a dog hater either. I just object to having my fishing trips interrupted by Fido/Fifi/Fang deciding to come and sniff round my bait, pee up against my seat, grab my lunch and then slobber all over me whilst it's doting owner tells me that "he's only being friendly...." I usually just smile gently, and then pat the annoying animal on the head (as hard as I can get away with!!!!) whilst trying to get the lid back on my bait box, rescue my lunch and use the power of thought to make the damn creature just bugger off and leave me in peace!

I'm a friendly sort of person, and if someone wants to talk to me whilst I'm fishing, I really don't mind. What I DO mind though is dogs that rampage through your tackle and bait, whilst the owners seem totally oblivious to the trouble their animals are causing. No, he's not being cute and playful. He is being a damned nuisance and if you had once ounce of sense, you'd realise that and keep the bloody beast on a lead....

Sorry. Rant over.....normal service now resumed.....

Bet you are a laugh a minute at a fish-in

Interfere what do mean by interfere John? Most anglers I know enjoy a bit of a chin wag, even share a cuppa from the flask...blimey and I thought you Yorkshire folk were friendly. Don't like dogs as well.....surely not, everyone should like dogs, I mean whats there NOT to like about dogs? You should get one you really should :D

Time and a place for everything Neil, I wondered when you'd join in :D .

By interfere, I mean I don't go walking up to them while they are fishing, and shout "Caught anything mate? Should have been here last week, they were climbing up the rod, ha, ha ,ha".

Or even approach them if not invited.

Unlike some, when fishing I try to get the fish feeding as close as possible, be it still or moving water.

It's no joke to spend a couple of hours building a swim to have some man and his dog come bounding up, one wagging it's tail, the other shouting,"here boy, here, where are you?", "don't worry mate he's friendly, wouldn't harm a fly, loves kids though, loves 'em, but couldn't eat a whole one, ha, ha ,ha". <_<

In a few seconds the idiot and it's two legged friend have ruined your swim, and possibly the day.

Don't put word in my mouth Neil, :nono: I never said I didn't like dogs, just that I like choose when and where I interact with them.

Though I did hear a description of a dog that was quite apt. A Dog, one end bites, the other end sh*tes. :rolleyes:

John.

Guest Rabbit
Time and a place for everything Neil, I wondered when you'd join in :D .

By interfere, I mean I don't go walking up to them while they are fishing, and shout "Caught anything mate? Should have been here last week, they were climbing up the rod, ha, ha ,ha".

Or even approach them if not invited.

Unlike some, when fishing I try to get the fish feeding as close as possible, be it still or moving water.

It's no joke to spend a couple of hours building a swim to have some man and his dog come bounding up, one wagging it's tail, the other shouting,"here boy, here, where are you?", "don't worry mate he's friendly, wouldn't harm a fly, loves kids though, loves 'em, but couldn't eat a whole one, ha, ha ,ha". <_<

In a few seconds the idiot and it's two legged friend have ruined your swim, and possibly the day.

Don't put word in my mouth Neil, :nono: I never said I didn't like dogs, just that I like choose when and where I interact with them.

Though I did hear a description of a dog that was quite apt. A Dog, one end bites, the other end sh*tes. :rolleyes:

John.

Its all part and parcel of being out there John, yes it's frustrating when someone chats when you are trying to catch, or a boat or ploughs through your swim, but I try and avoid all that when I really need to catch by going way off the beaten track, fish early or late, Otherwise we anglers are bound to be 'interfered' with by either two legged or four legged types.

You said you don't like dogs, but choose to interact with them when it suits you!! Sometimes John, you come over a tad pompous, You really should get a dog, my sister has a couple of Springer pup bitches in need of a home, I am having the dog..whadda you say?

Guest Rabbit
Eeeeeeek!

John, hold that thought.....

Spiders are one thing (and I don't doooooo spiders......) but dogs are another. I'm not a dog lover, but I'm not a dog hater either. I just object to having my fishing trips interrupted by Fido/Fifi/Fang deciding to come and sniff round my bait, pee up against my seat, grab my lunch and then slobber all over me whilst it's doting owner tells me that "he's only being friendly...." I usually just smile gently, and then pat the annoying animal on the head (as hard as I can get away with!!!!) whilst trying to get the lid back on my

bait box, rescue my lunch and use the power of thought to make the damn creature just

bugger off and leave me in peace!

I'm a friendly sort of person, and if someone wants to talk to me whilst I'm fishing, I really don't mind. What I DO mind though is dogs that rampage through your tackle and bait, whilst the owners seem totally oblivious to the trouble their animals are causing. No, he's not being cute and playful. He is being a damned nuisance and if you had once ounce of sense, you'd realise that and keep the bloody beast on a lead....

Sorry. Rant over.....normal service now resumed.....

Janet Janet Janet :D :D :D

''Pat the annoying animal on the head as hard as I can get away with''

Thanks, wonderful sense of humour.