Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

Yeah it makes you feel like that but it would just make matters worse, there would be the old cry......"dangerous dogs" when in reality they're the ones with that (an out of control animal). Well I'm wrong there, it's not their dogs fault at all it's their owners who are totally numb and have no respect for anyone or anything but unfortunatly it's the poor old mutt's who get the blame.

Agreed

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a few incidences where dogs have taken an interest in my rucksack but I always keep it zipped up with anything edible inside as well so not been that bothered.

I think I would get most annoyed at a dog fouling/p**ing on my gear and would have to mention that to the owner (if they didn't see it happen!)

Yeah it makes you feel like that but it would just make matters worse, there would be the old cry......"dangerous dogs" when in reality they're the ones with that (an out of control animal). Well I'm wrong there, it's not their dogs fault at all it's their owners who are totally numb and have no respect for anyone or anything but unfortunatly it's the poor old mutt's who get the blame.

Once had a terrier charge through my line pulling the hook deep into my finger when i was putting maggots on, thankfully i always use barbless. The owner and dog were a joy otherwise. Its the dog mess i strongly object to!

Edited by Jeffwill

I agree with what others have said, however there is sometimes a positive side; On the Lee as it goes into Wheathamstead where it is quite shallow with the occasional deeper swim I have had my swim come alive several times after someones dog has waded through my swim; the fish do not appear to be spooked by the dogs in fact quite the opposite; probably because dog owners often let their dogs wade in the stream there and stir up the bottom releasing all kinds of insect life and other food for them; and the fish are probably used to it..

But in general they can be a nuisance everywhere else I've been. But it is usually the owners who need to be trained and not the dogs.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Used take my Shephard fishing with me but stopped because although she is as good as gold and stays right by me other peoples dogs are the problem and as has been said she to is a breed that will not be given the benifit of the doubt when she decides to take a bite out of the dog that is trying to mount her.

Always put her on the lead when i see another dog as it means i can take the moral high ground if something happens as the owner is often out of sight down the river bank.

Had several rows with people about there dogs as i was taught if you cannot control them ie stay to heel,sit,down etc then they have no buisness being off the lead.

Every dog starts off with the chance to be well trained and the weak link is allways the owner,They give the decent owners a bad name and dont get me started on not picking up dog mess in public areas Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Every dog starts off with the chance to be well trained and the weak link is allways the owner,They give the decent owners a bad name

My experience is that almost all owners pay little attention to their dogs when passing fishermen. In addition to the serious incidents many times we have to put up with them simply sniffing around us, off the lead, owner unconcerned. The assumption seems to be "you're a fisherman so you must be a dog person".

Bad owners are a minority...definitely not.

Guest tigger

I'm sorry to say you are right. Good responsible dog owners are in the minority it seems.........along with good parents and people with any ettiquette or just plain good manners.

My experience is that almost all owners pay little attention to their dogs when passing fishermen. In addition to the serious incidents many times we have to put up with them simply sniffing around us, off the lead, owner unconcerned. The assumption seems to be "you're a fisherman so you must be a dog person".

Jim they dont think or assume anything they simply just dont care and it seems that a bit of water draws them,One of the guys i fish with is a dog handler for the old bill and he soon shouts at the owner to control his dog but even with a copper showing his warrant card they still dont except that they are doing anything wrong and often start giving him a load of grief so what chance has anyone else got,There are good owners out there but i would concede that they are now outnumbered by the he is just a bit lively mate brigade Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Dogs here in the US "Must" be on a leash when in any public place.

The fines are quite high and strictly 'Enforced' (seems the 'Enforcement' bit is missing in the UK)

Also when you walk your dog here... you 'MUST' clean up after it... you see all these people walking their dogs, carrying these little zip lock baggies... and scooping up their dogs 'Donations' when they are done.The fine for not doing that is pretty high too ($100.00 I think) and again strictly 'Enforced'.

I fish a state park an hour from my home and the Federal Fish & Game officers there are diligent to say the least. I saw one guy get arrested for not cleaning up after his dog and then the silly bleeder got 'Mouthy' with the officer who was writing him a ticket... so he ended up in hand cuffs and probably spent the night in gaol.

(These Fed guys are pretty 'FREE' with their 'TAZERS' too.)

It is such a shame when people don't take responsibility for there animals... My Da always used to say "Ignorance is Bliss"... I suppose most of the people described in this thread must come from "Bliss" Huh ?

Rob J

Palm Springs Ca.

Edited by Rob J

Show me someone who thinks they know everything...

I'll show you a fool...

Leave the area you fish... cleaner than it was before you got there !!!!

i keep a full bar of EXLAX just For that particular dog i have used it once when a very cheeky owner

told me that the tow path was for walking dogs not for fishing.

so i apologized to him sneeringly then i used my master plan and fed his dog the chocolate for which he thanked me

a said he wished more of the fishing public where so kind hearted,

little did he know :rolleyes: i hope his mut kraped all over his home.

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif