Dog problems whilst fishing

Jim Murray

I don't have a problem with dogs, a little pat and a few words if they are trying to eat something normally have them sitting and wagging there tails.

Most dogs are obedient especially if there is some food in it for them.

I quite like a visit from a dog when I am fishing.

Most owners who let there dogs off the lead know that there dog is not a threat, maybe a bit lively but not dangerous, If you fish the Avon in Stratford, you will be visited by at least 10 dogs in a session, but I know that and still fish there, I have not had any problems with damage or stolen food or peeing, I have once had a dog gets its leg caught in the line of a rod I had laid on the floor, but it was easy to release and the owner apologized profusely.

Over all I guess Its just not an issue for me, but I can understand why some anglers would find it annoying.

Sorry I must be a bit different :rolleyes:

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They sell special chocolate for dogs in the big pet stores near me in GB apparently it is not posionous to dogs like normal chocolate is.

My daughter had a small Yorkshire Terrier a few years ago which she had on a leash, another dog (not on a leash) just picked it up and shook it in its mouth like a rag and permanently damaged her dogs spine, the owner just looked shocked and said "He's never done that before" and he offered to pay for the vet fees. the owner didn't even have a leash with him. that wouldn't have happened if the owner had been more responsible.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yse Den, I did write that. My mate told me that he said it as he was writing out the fixed penalty fine for not having the dog on a leash!

The other charges were more serious and that would be for the court to decide - although by not having the Rottie on the lead automatically made him liable for damages!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

Guest Rabbit
{comment removed}

I said the parks in Cheltenham are now lead only when walking dogs, my mates was on a lead, the Rottie wasn't! That's why the dog warden said what he did!!!

By the way, your remarks about "dangerous Breeds" is inflamatory - It is the owners that turn them into an aggresive animal, not the dogs!!

Way off the mark again as usual...I was not concerning myself with the lead issue at all. Nope.. it was the fact that according to you the Dog Warden 'told' your mate he would be fined and would have to meet the vet bills RIGHT? Now unless the Cheltenham Dog Warden has powers that go beyond anyone else as a paid council employer then your 'mate' was telling you a load of old BS that you repeated here!!

So perhaps you could stick to what I replied to instead of replying to something that you have engineered

Keep to the point..and stop the BS :huh:

As far as my comments as being inflammatory about dangerous what nonsene, accuse me of what you want but FFS I train the things when the owners can't handle them to save them hopefully from being destroyed...dogs not the owners. :D

Guest Rabbit

{admin note: That (removed) comment was out of line and several others seem as if you are just trying to pick a fight. Ease up.

Newt}

Guest Rabbit
I don't have a problem with dogs, a little pat and a few words if they are trying to eat something normally have them sitting and wagging there tails.

Most dogs are obedient especially if there is some food in it for them.

I quite like a visit from a dog when I am fishing.

Most owners who let there dogs off the lead know that there dog is not a threat, maybe a bit lively but not dangerous, If you fish the Avon in Stratford, you will be visited by at least 10 dogs in a session, but I know that and still fish there, I have not had any problems with damage or stolen food or peeing, I have once had a dog gets its leg caught in the line of a rod I had laid on the floor, but it was easy to release and the owner apologized profusely.

Over all I guess Its just not an issue for me, but I can understand why some anglers would find it annoying.

Sorry I must be a bit different :rolleyes:

Agreed, a little distracting but I have had some enjoyable conversations with dogs and their owners whilst fishing. recently met a Pointer who had a bit part in Pride & Prejudice

And once 'saved' a big lab that fell into my swim I was fishing,, not to mention the free spam offerings (can't resist the pleading look)..dogs that is!! :D

some of the places i fish dogs are the least of your worrys a friendly face and a wagging tail is welcome anytime over the "have you caught anything mate" questions while checking out what gear you have and if they can have away with any,

the day before i go fishing i often walk my dog around the lake just to see how well its fishing and what swim i wanna try then next day, most anglers actually call him over, so he tends to think that all anglers are friendly even tho as this thread proves you get the odd miserable so and so,

i agree dogs can be a pest if there owners are irresponsible and have been to lazy to train there animals, i have had a dog dive in my swim after the fish i was about to land which i lost as a result and the owner apologized put he was the one who got a mouthful,

some of the stuff people have said about hurting dogs for doing what dogs do makes me sick,

if anyone ever tried to harm my dog whilst we was out looking around a lake it wouldnt be the dog damaging there tackle they would have to worry about it would he its lead across there skull

Rabbit - ............

Did you honestly not know that the dog warden has powers to issue a fixed penalty notice (just like a traffic warden!!!) if he/she finds dogs not on a leash or failing to pick up after your dog has fouled?

As for the responsibilty, I think he was making an EDUCATED assessment of the situation!

{admin note: removed some bits from here as well. If you have a problem with comments, please report so we can deal with them rather than just making nasty responses to insults.

Newt}

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

My daughter had a small Yorkshire Terrier a few years ago which she had on a leash, another dog (not on a leash) just picked it up and shook it in its mouth like a rag and permanently damaged her dogs spine, the owner just looked shocked and said "He's never done that before" and he offered to pay for the vet fees. the owner didn't even have a leash with him. that wouldn't have happened if the owner had been more responsible.

What most dog owners don't realise is that they don't really know their pets as well as they think they do. Very well trained working dogs aside your average pooch is only half trained. This is true particullarly when you call a dog to heel. you must of seen it, most owners are screaming "fluffy fluffy come here you sod fluffy" all the while the dog is continuing to run around, snuffle through your bait box etc. the dog should return to its master the second the owner calls it. If yours doesn't then you have no business taking it out without a lead. Otherwise the dog may do something that you don't expect as highlighted by boldbear. a semi trained dog is actually semi wild.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/