Another crazy idea! This time about Peas!

FaTzy

Yes i have had a crazy idea again lol.

I was sitting there eatting my sunday roats dinner and i was thining about sweetcorn (i dont useually have it on my roast but i couldnt say no as i was a mates house, then i started thining i know that some fish eat it and some others dont (the same with maze!), but i was playing with my peas in my gravy and it came to me DO FISH LIKE GARDEN PEAS?????

So now i have a few question for everyone...

1. Do fish like garden peas of any type of peas??

2. Will peas harm fish

To fish or not to fish? That is the question!!!

PB Commom 30lbs (UK)

PB Mirror 27lbs 4oz (UK)

PB Ghost Mirror 15lbs 6oz (UK)

PB Mirror 46lbs 6oz (FRENCH)

I've used peas mixed with other things for several years on various waters with relative success.

I can't see why they would harm the fish as long as they're soft (ie cooked garden peas or mushy peas).

In my teens I used to fish the R Idle, R Torne and several drains in the Notts / Lincolnshire area.

There was one old guy I used to see fishing there and he was a font of angling knowledge. He put me onto fishing with wheat, hemp, tares, elderberries and peas as well as many other 'exotic' baits.

He told of the days when pea farming was big in the area, and obviously some found there way into the surrounding waters, and were eaten by the fish.

I have caught roach, tench, bream and chub on peas. This was over 40yrs ago and carp were not as numerous in those days, but I see no reason why they wouldn't take them.

I have used them straight from the pod, par boiled and frozen ones thawed out.

There are few baits that are 'new', just forgotten about for a few years, then 'rediscovered'.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

A lot of the older books on angling listed peas as being good for chub. But then there wasn't a lot you could think of that wasn't on that list. :rolleyes:

i dont see why peas wouldnt work give it a try experiment with them and see if they work !

tight line son the peas

mike

I think many people have tried peas over the years, as if they worked they would be the cheapest bait available. As far as I know they have always been a complete failure, although why similar pulses such as chick peas should work so well when garden peas don't is a bit of a mystery to me.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

In the famous Redmire book I seem to recall that members tried using all kinds of particles to try to find something the carp would eat, and peas were ignored completely. I've never tried them though.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Like any other bait, peas might be ignored totally in one area, but snarfed up in another. GIve it a go, I'd say. I'm planning on trying golden raisins, and I recently had a bit of luck on canned garbonzo beans, so who knows?

Tried them a couple of times without any sucsess.So tend to agree with Peter.However Anna makes a good point about some baits working on some waters but not others.

As there are so many "proven" baits now I dont think I would waste time trying them again on any water though.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Like any other bait, peas might be ignored totally in one area, but snarfed up in another. GIve it a go, I'd say. I'm planning on trying golden raisins, and I recently had a bit of luck on canned garbonzo beans, so who knows?

Raisins have been tried before and some people claim that they pick out the better fish, although this seems completely illogical and it's more likely a matter of sheer luck. The reason they aren't used more often is that they are probably not as effective as many far cheaper baits.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.