Bringing Skate Bodies Ashore

Elton

I know years ago the bit about not landing ray carcasses was followed, I thought it was to do with the bits being similar to human bits or some mumble jumbo rubbish like that. However it did setup a precedence so when I have kept them always wing at sea, plays hell with a sharp knife, I was never fond of skate though my step father loved it.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know years ago the bit about not landing ray carcasses was followed, I thought it was to do with the bits being similar to human bits or some mumble jumbo rubbish like that.

I think the story originated when a South East charter boat skipper returned to the dock and a day tripper peared over the side and was heard to say, "Looks like a proper ****". The skipper, wrongly, assumed he was talking about the roker he had on board, and the story stuck.

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Steve Coppolo

DRUNK DRIVERS WRECK LIVES.

Don't drink and drive.

• 4 years later...

Just a little more information on this subject of landing whole Skate in the UK. Many years ago, forty to be exact, I worked as a trainee fishmonger in Hertfordshire & Bedfordshire. I was told they could not be landed whole as the female skate had genitals like that of a human(even had periods?) I was also told of the ritual that was forced on young trainee trawlermen/boys. The story goes that there was an initiation ceremony whereby a large female skate was nailed to the deck and the the poor unfortunate lad was expected to perform. God only knows what this did to his mind & body? If you have ever had the barb injuries from one of these creatures you know what I mean.

As a side item, to skin the wings we used a knife, pliers and a large scrubbing brush. Insert the knife under the skin at the deepest & fleshiest part of the wink and cut back to the cartilage thus making a small flap of skin. Using the pliers grab the flap of skin while holding down the fish with the large scrubbing brush just behind the flap of skin. All you then need to do is pull the skin back firmly in one swift movement.(job done!)

The dark skin is covered in a slime and personally I think it might be this that is the poison and the barbs are used to work along with the poison. Be VERY CAREFUL when handling this fish at all costs!!

These are my views and what information you draw from them may or may not be factual. I am not a fishmonger or a fisherman & only put this up for information. Jon...

jonps,

WELCOME TO AN !!

You have replied to a really old thread that was started in 2008.(first line in every post - it's light grey) It's a very interesting subject and even more interesting are the names of old members that made replies to this thread. Well, not interesting in a DIY project. I live 1200 miles from an ocean.

Start a new thread on your favorite subject.

Phone

"Slit the gill clefts with a sharp knife, cutting right through to the other side of the body. Gut the fish by running a knife point around the abdominal cavity and afterwards shaking out the viscera. Cut down into the body to separate the wing roots from the back. That severs the other major blood collection area. Hang the fish for two days, then skin off the wings.

Reminds me of a trip to the Dingle Peninsula with Ian and Pete back in the 1960s

Caught a couple of decent thornbacks (about 8 lb apiece) off Fenit Pier, and decided to have a feast of "skate wing"

Did all of what Steve says above, and hung them up in Mrs Mac's shed.

Went bass fishing and Guinness drinking for the two days, and I'm sorry to say, we forgot all about the thornbacks (I hate wasting fish - especially good eating fish). Anyway, the two day's hanging had become six when Mrs Mac asked what we wanted to do with the fish in the shed.

Opened the shed door, and PHWOARRRR!!! Never smelt anything so foul before or since.

Went and got a length of cord, tied it to the line from which the fish were hanging, cut that line above the knot, and dragged the fish out of the door, down the path, into the street, and tied the cord to the rear bumper of my car, and set off for the shore.

A few startled looks as we went down Castlegregory High Street. ( Pete reported that two nuns had crossed themselves on seeing the devil-fish following the car )

Reached the shore, and consigned the remains to the crabs and dogfishes.

Felt extremely guilty, and have never wasted a fish since.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...