New Wingham web site

Steve Burke

I'm posting this here as the redirect from the old site has stopped working and also I can't seem to edit my signature where there's a link.

There's a new state of the art Wingham web site at www.winghamfisheries.co.uk. It's much better than the old one if you're using a mobile.

Many thanks to Julian Grattidge for all the hard work setting it up, running it and hosting it.

Thanks also to Si for the old one that started life as long ago as 2000 and served so well. Thanks too to Elton for hosting it for free all these years.

Although Elton's not hosting the new web site the Angler's Net Fish-In is still going to continue and it's still going to be free. I've just today posted further details at http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/8165335-wingham-fish-in-2016/page-2.

Edited by Steve Burke
  • Like 2

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Cheers, Ian.

Any comments or suggestions welcome.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

A nice, simple to navigate site with some great pics Steve. My only suggestion would be to move the decimal point one place to the left for each of the prices :D.

A more practical observation (not a criticism), it's interesting to read about the numbers of carp that are now in the Main Lake. Doesn’t this increase the risk of un-intentional catches and possible break offs? The kit I’ve used on my couple of Wingham, days probably wouldn’t have dealt with a 40lb carp and I always liked the idea of one lake being relatively carp free.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

nice and clear, nothing fancy, nothing doing my head in like flashy lights etc. yeah I like it.

A dark carbon fibre background would maybe make it look a bit more polished/modern. Oh and a gallery too would be nice.

my only problem with it is the lack of meta for search engine optimisation.

as a comparison here is anglersnet meta.

<meta name="description" itemprop="description" content="The UK Online Fishing Magazine - Established 1999 - Carp, Coarse, Sea, Fly and Kayak Fishing." />

<meta name="keywords" itemprop="keywords" content="angler, fish, fishing, anglersnet, fishing chat, fishing forum, fishing advice, uk, carp fishing, sea fishing, coarse fishing, kayak fishing, boat fishing, tackle, bait, reviews." />

<meta property="og:type" content="website" />
<meta property="og:title" content="Anglers Net" />
<meta property="og:description" content="Anglers Net" />
<meta property="og:url" content="http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/" />
<meta property="og:site_name" content="Anglers Net" />
<meta property="og:image" content="https://s0.wp.com/i/blank.jpg" />
<meta property="og:locale" content="en_GB" />
<meta name="twitter:site" content="@anglersnet" />

Here is yours

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" />
<meta name="generator" content="WordPress 4.2.3" />

Notice in anglers nets meta it has og:type, og:title, og:description, etc

those are for facebook. when someone shares one of your urls this is the information facebook attaches to the little box it creates under peoples posts.

as its wordpress id hazard an educated guess there will be a part in the admin panel that will let you insert meta data

:thumbs:

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Looks great Steve :)

Rusty I don't think there are any more carp in there now, just that there are more than first thought. Oh and I remember Tinca catching a few of the carp to over 40lb on tench gear...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Just had a look, and the articles on nomadic large tench are well worth a read.

I remember Steve's comments a few years back, and introducing him to the term "ecotone"

Many years ago - before Dick Walker published Stillwater Angling, my mate and I used to fish "Green Lake" which contained big carp. We saw them often from the dam end, but the beggars never took a bait there. After a while we realised they must feed elsewhere. Where the silt from the inlet stream met the gravel of the deeper water was where we found them. Double figure carp were almost unheard of then, but we finished up with several. (Readers of "Angling Vagabond" have heard this already!)

Read up on ecotones - important to birders and naturalists as well as anglers. Hint - the margin under your own bank is a classic ecotone !

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Firstly, thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far.

Having a carp-free lake wouldn't be financially viable, I'm afraid, as I wouldn't be able to cover my costs without a large increase in members. Carp anglers are prepared to pay a lot more and therefore I don't need so many. This means that there's less pressure on the fish and it's this lack of pressure that's allowed Wingham to produce so many big fish at a young age. It also means that there are plenty of swims available for everyone.

Yes, some non-carp anglers get broken, but then they do on most waters. This is not a major problem if the right rigs are used, and this is spelt out in the rules. Having said that, there aren't large numbers of carp, and as Anderoo has pointed out some members fishing for tench or bream have landed 40lb+ carp.

A nice, simple to navigate site with some great pics Steve. My only suggestion would be to move the decimal point one place to the left for each of the prices :D.

A more practical observation (not a criticism), it's interesting to read about the numbers of carp that are now in the Main Lake. Doesn’t this increase the risk of un-intentional catches and possible break offs? The kit I’ve used on my couple of Wingham, days probably wouldn’t have dealt with a 40lb carp and I always liked the idea of one lake being relatively carp free.