Fishing: Is it just about catching fish? Or is there something else?

tiddlertamer

Fishing: Is it just about catching fish? Or is there something else?

This might sound strange to many but a recent post by me about looking for float fishing glides and the enjoyment this type of fishing made me wonder how others approached fishing.

Is it simply the quest to catch the biggest, rarest, hardest fighting, or largest quantity of fish or is it simply enjoying an escape to the river bank and the chance to enjoy the surroundings whilst keeping an eagle eye on the progress of your float down the swim?

What does fishing mean for you? What floats your boat in the world of angling?

Edited by tiddlertamer

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Tiddler,

As for me, I went through phases; first phase quantity (for the pot), then variety, then specimen. I never sought "rare" as there are plenty of species here in the US to satisfy me. Ohh, I spent several year consumed by bait - natural and artificial.

Now, and since about 1992, the natural environment is/was my motivation. It's been a long time since I cared about catching. In fact, catching is somewhat a nuisance.

Phone

My thoughts exactly Ian. Another twist on the heavily stocked, so called, fishery industry.

As for the OPs question, you only have to look at my signature.

John.

• Like 2

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

For me, it's about getting out on the bank, watching nature go by and just having a pleasant day out. Catching fish is a happy bonus.

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

As much as I like being out on the bank I do go fishing to catch fish, if I don't catch then it isn't as good for me.

If I want to be out in the fresh air I'd rather be out walking the dogs than blanking on the bank :).

• Like 1