Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

As far as I can see only Christian has asked to borrow some long banksticks and long bobbins. Have I missed anyone out? Or have all the regulars learnt!

Steve Campbell said he'd bring along some appropriate landing nets. The fish run big at Wingham so I'd go for at least a 24inch spoon or a 28in triangular at the very minimum. I use a 30in spoon, in fact 2 of them, one on each side of the swim. You'd kick yourself if you missed a PB as you didn't ask to borrow a bigger net!

Oh, and if you get a big eel do land it tail first. Failure to do so cost me a PB last week!

Those who are unfamiliar with night fishing and especially bivvying up can also borrow all they need. This will include a bivvy, bedchair, water carrier (I use flasks), stove, kettle, cookware, plates, mugs, cutlery and idealy a bivvy table. Just ask as soon as possible.

BTW, a sleeping bag isn't essential. I prefer to use duvets as they're easy to throw off. Rather than 1 thick one I use 1 thin one plus 1 medium one. Using layers like this is much more comfortable.

You'll also need a torch, but please, please don't bring a bright one - they're simply not needed. A bright light will also scare the fish at Wingham. A headtorch is great, preferably with a red light as that won't ruin your night vision. You'll be amazed at what you can see at night once your eyes have got used to the dark! Suitable headtorches with separate switches for red and white light can be picked up in Argos and lots of similar shops for about a fiver including batteries. I've got 2 just in case.

Finally, do make sure you bring an unhooking mat as some of the swims are very gravelly. Make sure it's not tiny too!

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I run through the below before any overnight session to ensure I don't forget anything. Its helped me out for the last few years. Feel free to copy it and amend to suit your own sessions:

Session check list

1. CHANGE OF CLOTHES

2. SPARE SOCKS

3. SHOWER GEL

4. DEODORANT

5. TALCON POWDER

6. TOWEL

7. TOOTHBRUSH

8. TOOTHPASTE

9. WOOLY HAT

10. GLOVES

11. MONEY

12. WALLET

13. LICENCES

14. CUTLERY

15. CUP

16. KETTLE

17. PANS

18. WATER BOTTLE

19. FRYING PAN

20. SPATULAR

21. STOVE

22. SPARE GAS

23. TEA BAGS

24. SWEETENER

25. MILK

26. FOOD

27. RUBBISH BAGS

28. COOKING OIL

29. BABY WIPES

30. SALT

31. INSECT CREAM

32. PARACETAMOL

33. IMODIAM

34. SLEEPING BAG

35. SPARE BATTERIES (AA/AAA/9V)

36. RECHARGE BATTERIES

37. BEDCHAIR

38. CHAIR

39. BIVVY OR BROLLY

40. TORCH

41. HEADTORCH

42. BIVVY LAMP

43. SCALES

44. WEIGH SLING

45. FORCEPS

46. NET POLE

47. NET

48. UNHOOKING MAT

49. BANK STICKS

50. SWINGER/INDICATORS

51. BACK RESTS

52. ALARMS

53. PHONE CHARGER

54. CAMERA

55. BANK STICK ADAPTER

56. WALKIE TALKIES

57. PVA BAGS

58. TEA TOWEL

59. ROLL MAT

60. BUZZ BARS

61. BOOTS

62. FISHING SUIT

63. WATERPROOF TROUSERS

64. SPARE ALARM BATTERIES

65. BAIT (boilies, pellets, Maggots, worms, casters, glugs etc)

66. BARROW + WHEEL

67. MAGGOT RIDDLE

• Like 1

Effort equals reward!!

I did a similar thing the first time I fished Wingham, it was my first ever proper overnight fishing session. Thank goodness I kept the list on my PC, I'm about to start getting stuff together. There's only one thing worse than packing up to leave Wingham and that's packing up to go there.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It's going to be coldish so not much - couple of pints of maggots, bit of groundbait, some hemp/other little seeds. Hook bait will be plastics. I'm not expecting to use much, at least to start with.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Primarily red maggots for me but I will have one rod out with .MARUKYU credence corn. First used this on my limited fishing trips last year and had some excellent results with it. Plastic with a difference. OH and a couple of pints of casters

Edited by tincatinca

I know its been said a few times before but don;t get caught out!

At night at Wingham in the spring I always change into thermals to sleep in and have slept in coat, hat and scarf before now. If you assume you are going chubbing in december you will be dressed about right, you can always take layers off if you get too hot!

Also I always take two sleeping bags and sleep inside both if its very cold or leave them open if its milder.

Trust me the worst thing in the world is being freezing at 3am!

Also I would highly reccomend taking a few spare torches / headtorches. Its very easy to mislay one in the dark (why are they always black?) also before now I have been so excited by a run I've sprinted out leaving the torch behind or dropped one in the river, I now always keep a spare by the rods!

Final final tip get yourself a large external battery pack for charging you mobile on the bank. Mine charges my phone 4 or 5 times before it gives up!

This a newer version with a high capacity than mine!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compact-20000mAh-Portable-Anker-PowerCore/dp/B00VJSGT2A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460928646&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+power+bank

Rich

Edited by Kappa