Wingham Fish-In

Steve Burke

Dales is on the Main Lake.

The perch hadn't spawned at the weekend and those caught by the only member fishing for them averaged about 2-12. If I've time whilst working round the lake this week I'll throw out a lure and see if I can find out more.

With the late Spring, this year is the perfect chance to perch fish at Wingham as normally they would have spawned. I'd therefore strongly suggest that you try worms during the day.

I've also found that early season big baits are best for the tench. All my big Wingham tench in the early years came on worm. The water is also gin clear at the moment so I'd have most confidence in natural baits anyway.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Just had a chat with Steve and agree with all he has said, it could be a good time to target the Perch and it certainly will not spoil your chances of Tench. If anything fishing worm could improve them.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Alas the boilie is no more.and unfortunately I have no Wingham water to wash one out and prepare another one. To clarify the colour of the boilie it was an orange 10mm topped with a white 10mm pop up to form a little snowman rig . I think on this occasion using a feeder with maggots and worm will probably be as good as anything but I will have a few alternatives just in case. If all else fails I will have to get on my hands and knees to Anderoo to beg for a small offering from his extremely heavy bait bag.

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that another reason to target the perch is that the cold weather won't put them off nearly as much as the tench.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yes I'm having a bit of a wobble about what to do now. I was just going to tench fish with little bolt rigs/fake baits but now as the weekend gets closer and we have a better ides of conditions, I'm thinking maybe fishing in a way that would catch perch is a better choice. With a running rig and maggots/worms you'll pick up tench as well as perch, but not the other way around.

I'm in a bit of a quandary too. I thought I might fishing on the Carp Lake so I was just getting my carp head on and sorting out my camou-kit when Steve said that he had me down for Middle Wood on the Main Lake. Good, I thought. Fairly straightforward swim tench, tench, tench, but keep one rod fishing for bream at night and carp in the day, especially as there is little weed at present.

Blow me down if Steve then said he'd changed his mind and put me on the Point. Now what do I do? So much water, so many opportunities. Add to that, that on the few times I fished it, I've never had much success. Help!! Any advice from you regulars would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

Steve C.

I'm in a bit of a quandary too. I thought I might fishing on the Carp Lake so I was just getting my carp head on and sorting out my camou-kit when Steve said that he had me down for Middle Wood on the Main Lake. Good, I thought. Fairly straightforward swim tench, tench, tench, but keep one rod fishing for bream at night and carp in the day, especially as there is little weed at present.

Blow me down if Steve then said he'd changed his mind and put me on the Point. Now what do I do? So much water, so many opportunities. Add to that, that on the few times I fished it, I've never had much success. Help!! Any advice from you regulars would be very welcome.

Many thanks.

Steve C.

Hey Steve, I've fished the point a few times although not for a while! The one thing it's not short of is options - I reckon you need about 10 rods out to cover your bases...!

I've never done much good in the deep channel. All my better fish (tench and carp) have come from the gravel plateau off towards windy city. From memory it's about 4-6ft deep there with rocky areas and is prone to weed. Just a case of finding clear bits. One of my fave spots is only a short lob, others more like 50-60yds. This was always later in the year though, may and june. Maybe the deeper water is a better bet in April? I'd just try both! Plus there's Steve's favourite gap in the bar to your left if the next swim is free, although I've never had much from it myself.

I've got all my old notes and markers on the swim, I'll bring it all with me if you like.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Hi Anderoo,

Many thanks for the info and a chance to have a peek at your notes, etc. would be fantastic. Steve B. has put a guy in Brambles so I'll concentrate on the right hand side. Although, depending on where my neighbour is fishing, I might drop a worm or two in the margin at the end of the left hand bar. The other option is to fish a third rod in the right hand swim across to the small bay opposite. I've seen a few carp over there later in the year.

Sometimes I hate it when there are too many choices. I have an uncanny knack of choosing the wrong one!

Thanks for the advice, Andrew. You have been most helpful already.

See you there!!

Steve, the bottom of the near shelf in the entrance to the bay may worth a try. Last time I fished the point I spent some time casting around the bay with a fish finder as I was interested in giving the bay a go for Bream at some stage and found fish virtually under the rod tip. Put a bait down there and it was off within minutes. I also think that I may possibly have missed a big chance but I will tell you about that when I see you