Wingham Fish-In Auction

Steve Burke

I think it was Vagabond who kindly started this. The idea was to help cover the costs of the unpaid volunteers who do a huge amount of work prior to the Fish-In (and indeed throughout the year). They also pay for their own fuel - and you don't get many miles to the gallon in a 4WD in first gear!

I'll add some items myself as soon as I've sorted them.

In the meantime, over to you lads. You'll be surprised what unwanted items your fellow anglers will buy!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

I proposed to bring a selection of books,

However, there was a bag of books for Wingham, and a bag for the charity shop...........

I think BOTH bags went to the charity shop this morning :doh:

So it looks as if I will have to rummage about and find something else!

I have a large collection of Creel Magazines - ALL the issues from when Bernard Venables was editor and a lot more later ones.

Two points. They are seriously HEAVY. There is a reserve of £50 (Individual copies have fetched more than a tenner apiece at auction.)

I will not bother to bring them unless there is serious interest expressed by more than one person.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I'll be bringing the following:

Lot 1

5f7f0d53-71ff-4c59-98b9-cce8bb726a28_zps

3x Good Fishing GFs bite alarms with dual sensitivity (Made in Britain and highly rated by Forum members). 2 cases (I've the 3rd somewhere and will hopefully find it in time). Receiver (wired) + leads and spare new Fox long leads. 9v batteries in the receiver and 1 of the heads.

Estimate £20 to £30

Lot 2

dd6d3417-b7ab-47bd-aef7-06b5614dbd31_zps

Rucksack with bottom freezer bag compartment. Excellent condition.

Estimate £8 to £10

Lot 3

ce8f7a58-e21e-4c2c-901b-47a90a66f49c_zps

Selection of terminal tackle including coated hooklinks etc. About £80 worth.

Estimate £15 to £20

Lot 4

7d7552ae-5c0e-406f-9c4a-61a6e4192e5b_zps

Selection of pike floats and corks in useful box.

Estimate £10 to £15

Lot 5

c8b7236e-d948-46f1-ad18-5d20f373448d_zps

Pike unhooking tools + other bits. Very heavy duty Berkley 12in forceps fitted with Predator wrist strap, 12in straight forceps, 8in curved forceps, 6prs ET rod straps(3prs unopened), bag for scales etc, weigh bar, Alex Ball homemade "Spod Dropper". I believe the Berkley forceps cost me £40 alone.

Estimate £15 to £20

Lot 6

07ce11ff-1c9d-4c64-b4e4-1bfb8e4ac35d_zps

Deep landing net mesh to fit approx 36in spoon or triangular frame. Heavy duty hexamesh with solid material rim.

Estimate £2 to £5

Lot 7

6e31c959-a0d3-42fc-82a8-2ac19850ee98_zps

Improved Prologic version (with extra rod straps plus internal velcroed weigh sling) of the highly regarded Korum Multimat. Excellent for the roving angler for use as a carryall/unhooking mat. Straps for rods, net handle, pocket for banksticks plus large pocket for tackle box etc. The mat itself is made from high impact waterproof foam so won't fill up with water. The extra weigh sling is a big plus compared with the original Korum Multimat

Estimate £20 to £25

Lot 8

20160417_150601_zps2znuh9gj.jpg

Walker, Bampton 9 1/2ft 3 piece split cane fly rod with extra top. I'm told Walker, Bampton was set up down the road from Hardy's by some of their disgruntled craftsmen. As you'd expect their rods are very high quality, but they're hard to find. The cane on this rod is beautifully straight, and has very high quality locking ferrules plus what looks like the original close whippings. The butt ring and one of the tip rings seem original, the other tip ring I'm guessing is Aqualite. The snake intermediates also look replacements as the green whipping is a different shade to that on the intermediates, as is the that on the replacement tip ring. The butt cap is enscribed "J.J.S.WALKER.BAMPTON & Co MAKERS ALNWICK". There is also the number 2471. Complete with butt spear and original cloth bag.

Estimate £50 to £80

Lot 9

4x stainless steel flasks, half litre size. Peggy has soaked them all in Milton sterilising fluid. Push button tops. I prefer these somewhat smaller ones as 2 of these keep drinks hot much longer than 1 large one. They also fit better into many rucksacks. I also use them for water when session fishing as water carriers can split, plus I always find I spill a lot of the water when trying to fill a kettle.

Estimate £5 to £10

Lot 10

4 more half litre stainless steel flasks, this time with screw tops that don't need unscrewing all the way to pour. Sterilised with Milton fluid.

Estimate £5 to £10.

Edited by Steve Burke
  • Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Apart from mine and Vagabond's we've no firm offers yet of any auction items.

Most of us will have something gathering dust that may be useful to others. It didn't take me long to find the above bits and pieces plus it freed up some much needed space.

Over to you, lads........

If anyone who's not coming wants to place a bid on any item please contact me no later than Friday via the Wingham web site.

Split cane rod just added to my auction lots. See post 3 above.

Hi Steve,

I have dug out four Fox FS7000 free spool reels, (I can't call them Baitrunners as they're not Shimanos but you know what I mean!) used but in very good condition, each of them is boxed and complete with spare spool, handle and manuals. No reserve and could be auctioned as sets or singles.

I also have a used Korum unhooking mat, 36 x 24 inches, inflatable so it packs down into a very small space. This is clean and in excellent condition (i.e. it doesn't leak!). Again no reserve.

I also have four Good Fishing GFs bite alarms with covers but these are not do not come with a receiver. No Reserve.

Regards,

Steve C.

Edited by wyeknot

I have a large collection of Creel Magazines - ALL the issues from when Bernard Venables was editor and a lot more later ones.

Two points. They are seriously HEAVY. There is a reserve of £50 (Individual copies have fetched more than a tenner apiece at auction.)

I will not bother to bring them unless there is serious interest expressed by more than one person.

I'm interested, Dave so, if there's someone else, please bring them with you.

Regards,

Steve C.

Edited by wyeknot

Vagabond, Wyeknot (Steve Campbell), has kindly agreed to bid a minimum of your £50 reserve on the Creel magazines so do please bring them along. Thanks! Based on what I paid for my bound set a few years ago I'm guessing they'll go for £50 to £80.

Thanks also to Steve for his auction donations.

I'm going to change the lot order so that Steve's GFs alarms go immediately after my 3 GFs alarms. I propose to put 3 of Steve's GFs alarms in 1 lot and the 4th one in a separate lot. That way someone will end up with 3 and someone else with 4, with one of the winners getting my receiver. Estimates for Steve's alarms would then be £15 to £20 for the set of 3, and £4 to £6 for the odd one.

Steve's Fox reels are, I believe, tench/light carp size. Please let me know how many of these reels you'd be interested in and I'll split them accordingly. I'd estimate they'd go for £15 to £25 each.

Steve's unhooking mat I'm not familiar with but I'd guess it would go for £10 to £15.

Edited by Steve Burke

I should add that there's no need to pay for your auction purchases on the day, although you can do so in cash or by cheque.

As long as everything is paid for by the end of the month that's fine.