Cheese for Barbel

Chris Plumb

Thanks for putting that up, interesting video, depressing that that lovely looking Rivers suffers from pollution, it's apparent that Barbel on the continent don't seem to achieve the size they do over here. Not sure why that is, could be a different genetic strain?

" If the stream is strong, it will be necessary to put a stone inside each ball (of groundbait) to make it sink"

John Bickerdyke "The Book of the All-round Angler" Published in 1888 - I have a first edition.

I doubt if that is the first mention, but have not checked earlier works by Berners, Chetham, Walton, etc.

BTW I was watching some chub in Northern France, where a stream flowed through a car-park. Fed the chub with a few scraps, and a Frenchman paused to watch. We exchanged a few words in (on my side) schoolboy French, from which I gathered he was an angler. He knew the fish were "chevaines" (I think that's nearly right !) anyway.

Catching chub came into the conversation. "Fromage" I said (Old Rhino, our French master, would have been proud)

"Interdit !" replied the Frenchman.

That floored me ! To this day I don't know if cheese is a proscribed bait in France, or whether he meant that fishing in that particular car-park was forbidden. Does anyone know ?

Edited by Vagabond
  • Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Cheese, both as a paste, and just as it came, according to temperature, and swim, has always been my first 'go to' bait for barbel. Some of my best catches were made by walking the banks of the rivers Swale, and Nidd, with both a float and a leger rod, a loaf of bread, and a big lump of cheese. The bread was used both as bait, and a 'mixer' to get the right consistency of the cheese. Float fished, legered, or free lined, depending on swim. I think the guys 'hair rig' over complicates it a bit, I never had trouble with hook ups, as long as the size of bait, and hook matched, and the bait was the right consistency.

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Never had much luck keeping dairyley triangles on even hair rigged

As a bait i have never used cheese of any type .

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

My dad says a good chunk of crackabarrel was his favourite barbel bait on the Thames as a young one.

Going by memory chucking it in a river was the best option for it LOL

Came in mediocre flavour then but hopefully better now

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson