60lb carp from Wingham

Steve Burke

Wingham Carp Lake has produced its first 60, a mirror of 60-08.

Once again it was that genius of a young carp angler, Dan Taylor, who caught it. In less than a year Dan has had 3 different 50s from Wingham, including a lake record common of 59-08, and now a lake record mirror of 60-08.

Further details and picture to follow.

Edited by Steve Burke
  • Like 2

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 2 weeks later...

I still find it amazing that an English stillwater has fish of this size, and the other 50's it has produced. I'm just about old enough to think Walker's 44lb fish was a monster and Yates's 51lb'er something from another planet.

• Like 1

I'm amazed myself, but carp are getting bigger all the time.

What sets Wingham apart is the sheer numbers of big carp at such a young age.

As I explained in the recent book "Carp County", this is down to the lack of fishing pressure that was a novel idea when I started. Of course you've got to get the other factors right - the pick of the crop of pedigree carp, plus low stock density in a rich lake so that there's masses of natural food. Quite a number of waters have got all that, but almost none has the low fishing pressure that Wingham has.

Many of us believe that the even lower fishing pressure on the Main Lake (that was started later) will mean that it'll surpass even the Carp Lake in years to come.

• Like 1

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• 5 months later...

That will depend on the size/weight of fish you expect from the water(s) you are fishing and the water conditions. The ideal gear for fish to 10 pounds in largish open water would not be good for weedy, snaggy water or if you expected 30 pound fish from fast water.

Describe your usual waters and you will likely get suggestions that make sense for you.

The Wingham fishery for instance has largish bodies of fairly open water but areas of very rough bottom so abrasion resistant line is a good idea as is a rod that can deal with a small submarine but that same gear would mean a 10 pound fish would not be much fun to catch.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Steve B,

How are you controlling an explosion of tiddlers? These fish you refer to have to still be of breeding age. A fish of that size can have over one million eggs. Predators simply can't be the answer with such overwhelming numbers.

My hardy congratulations to Dan and the lake management. Well done boys !!

Phone

Since stocking pike in 1999 we've not had a problem with lots of small carp. Additionally cormorants keep the numbers down. Only the odd carp makes it through every year.

Having said that, we have more fry than usual this summer so may have to take some action next year.

Steve,

Sounds like you are about ready for some 30lb+ pike in the near future.

Again, I am very proud of your accomplishments. Very hard to coerce common carp to 60, even with desirable breeds.

Phone

Thanks, Phone.

• 7 months later...

That's some big numbers Steve, good to know Wingham is still thriving. BTW, your old Shimano Baitrunners are still going strong.

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.