Three cheers for elitism

Vagabond

My mistake, I bow to, and congratulate you, on your superior knowledge of Greek mythology.

To lesser mortals, such as myself, it's still is, and always will be, just a fun style of music.

John.

It's not my fault that somebody gave me a big book on Greek Mythology when I was a wee boy. I loved all that stuff about Medusa the Gorgon, Theseus and the Minotaur, Jason and the Golden Fleece. Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Nothing to do with him being controller of BBC 2 for me. I have been captivated by the man since I read the "Zoo Quest" books when I was a wee laddie.

The whole "Zoo Quest" series can still be viewed on BBC iPlayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00db1jf/episodes/player

What warehouse were those filmed in chesters?

A big one with big blue screen walls i presume

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Nothing to do with him being controller of BBC 2 for me. I have been captivated by the man since I read the "Zoo Quest" books when I was a wee laddie.

The whole "Zoo Quest" series can still be viewed on BBC iPlayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00db1jf/episodes/player

What warehouse were those filmed in chesters?

A big one with big blue screen walls i presume

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/frozen-planet-scandal-sir-david-96593

I think they are in bourne woods pretending its africa now ,theres complaints his helicopter gets in the sound track of gladiator2 the return of the 50th legion

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I think you can blame the producers rather than the presenter for any hype.

I can remember how "brave" Sir David was made to seem in approaching ice falls from glaciers meeting the ocean - with the aid of telephoto lenses

.....in fact, during our own trips to Antarctica (we went twice) our Zodiac went closer to ice cliffs than that. and we were well outside the danger zone.

Also many animals/birds were described as "shy" when in fact they are easily approachable - Aussie bower birds for example. Can show you a pic or two when the facility is restored.

The funniest episode was a shot of Sir David observing a giant anteater in the llanos, and him saying how he was cleverly staying downwind so as not to scare the beast which otherwise might scent him. That was fine, but the angle of the shot showed it must have been taken by the (odourless ??) cameraman upwind of both of them. We ourselves have got very close to a giant anteater which was quite indifferent to our presence.

However, in general all of Attenborough's series were pretty authentic - we have been to some of those locations so were well placed to spot any discrepancies. He has done very much more than almost anyone else to raise general awareness of the natural world.

Chesters is right in general to be sceptical, just not in this case.

I can think of a lot of programmes where dead fish (ex fishmongers) were waved at the camera to convince the punters they were still wriggling. Now that does annoy me.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

It's not my fault that somebody gave me a big book on Greek Mythology when I was a wee boy. I loved all that stuff about Medusa the Gorgon, Theseus and the Minotaur, Jason and the Golden Fleece.

Strangely, when I was small we had West Indian neighbours, and they were into Calypso, (the music), in a big way. I used to sit on our step during the summer, and listen to the sounds of his record collection, drifting through their open window. The guy used to encourage me to try and make up my own words to fit the tunes. Because of that, I became quite good at writing poetry, and got many 'house points' for my efforts in English at school.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I think you can blame the producers rather than the presenter for any hype.

I can remember how "brave" Sir David was made to seem in approaching ice falls from glaciers meeting the ocean - with the aid of telephoto lenses

.....in fact, during our own trips to Antarctica (we went twice) our Zodiac went closer to ice cliffs than that. and we were well outside the danger zone.

Also many animals/birds were described as "shy" when in fact they are easily approachable - Aussie bower birds for example. Can show you a pic or two when the facility is restored.

The funniest episode was a shot of Sir David observing a giant anteater in the llanos, and him saying how he was cleverly staying downwind so as not to scare the beast which otherwise might scent him. That was fine, but the angle of the shot showed it must have been taken by the (odourless ??) cameraman upwind of both of them. We ourselves have got very close to a giant anteater which was quite indifferent to our presence.

However, in general all of Attenborough's series were pretty authentic - we have been to some of those locations so were well placed to spot any discrepancies. He has done very much more than almost anyone else to raise general awareness of the natural world.

Chesters is right in general to be sceptical, just not in this case.

I can think of a lot of programmes where dead fish (ex fishmongers) were waved at the camera to convince the punters they were still wriggling. Now that does annoy me.

If someone has deliberately tried to scam the public in the past (merely by being in it) then they should never appear again ,as i mentioned he was fourth in line so why him?

• 4 weeks later...

My mistake, I bow to, and congratulate you, on your superior knowledge of Greek mythology.

To lesser mortals, such as myself, it's still is, and always will be, just a fun style of music.

John.

she was on pirates of the caribbean was she not ? manky teeth n all but id still give her one :spiteful:

• Like 1

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

she was on pirates of the caribbean was she not ? manky teeth n all but id still give her one :spiteful:

And I wouldn't give a rat's ass what genre of music she liked either.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

All,

Many of us survive and have good fortune in spite of our youthful behavioUr. Never met a kid yet that someone didn't think was going to hell in a hand basket.

Each generation is "worse" than the one before. Know what - I'll put my money on the worthless little twits.

Phone

Each generation is "worse" than the one before.

Teachers have, for yonks, told each successive year-class they were the worst yet.

Therefore my class regarded it as the supreme accolade, when, in the fourth year, we learnt that the first year had been told they were nearly as bad as us.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...