Three cheers for elitism

Vagabond

And rename those that thought Boaty McBoatface was a good name for a ship Dicky McDickhead.

And those that had no sense of humour and picked the worlds greatest collector of honorary degrees over a number of other perfectly good names (including boaty) Misery McDourface

It could well be too late for Brexit, our British sense of humour seems to have been largely Europeanised already.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I suppose it depends whether you think British science should be a joke.

Precisely.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Slight self depreciation was always the back bone of British humour, not necessarily making a 'joke' of something, just not taking the naming of a boat too seriously.

John.

• Like 1

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

No but having a sense of humor doesn't hurt either as Arthur Sasses 1951 photo of Einstein shows ( after all no one took his ideas less seriously after that photo was taken and its is one of the most popular images of him)

I think "shirtgate" was a better example of a loss of sense of humour!

Don't you mean 'Shirty McShirtface'? (Watch how you say that).

But that was mainly the feminists who complained, Steve, and they lost their sense of humour years ago.

John

My teachers used to say, they aint laughing with you they are laughing at you. naming the boat mcboatface seems to me to be laughing along with you rather than at you.

I would have shown more respect if they went ahead and named it what was suggested but no they had to go make it boring. its not like Attenborough needs more praise. He's one of the few people who most probably deserve to be called Sir. now i have less respect for him for accepting the naming of the ship after him and not standing up for what the public wanted.

Missed opportunity to engage the public positivly, now I couldnt care less about the damn ship.

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk