Three cheers for elitism

Vagabond

I think the point is that the public didn't give a damn about the boat, they didn't think it was an important thing, they just wanted to call it something stupid for a laugh. Because that's how much interest in it and respect for it they have. Kind of like laughing at the kids at school who are interested in science. I'm perfectly happy for them to pick an idiot to stay in Strictly or win X-Factor, but this was just a reflection of a lack of respect for something that deserved a bit.

If it was known/thought that the public didn't give a damn about the boat, then why ask them for suggestions for a name?

Surely the name of the boat isn't as important as the work that they intend to do. So the respect would be for the scientific work done, and not the vessel itself. Naming a ship after a fun style of Caribbean music didn't detract from the work Cousteau did.

It also depends why the 'science' kids were laughed at, was it because they were classed as 'nerds', or because of a massive sense of self importance they had?

John.

Edited by gozzer

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Because they misjudged the public, I expect - and didn't expect it to go viral and attract the drooling hordes!

As for the science kids - well, in this country it's cool to be thick.

In my day it was "cool" to be a pain in the backside to the teachers. It was not my fault I had a retentive memory and found exams easy, and to be fair to my schoolmates, they seemed to recognise this, and never once was I accused of being a "swot"

The phrase "A disruptive influence" occurred with monotonous regularity on my school reports, because teachers could not cope with the concept of a bright but disaffected pupil. It was not helped by a low mark for course-work (1. I never did homework, or "preparation" as this snobbish school called it, and 2. science coursework marks were not for science, but for artistic ability eg drawing rabbit bones, set-ups of bunsen burners and retorts, Wheatstone bridge scenarios etc etc and I cannot draw for nuts) Imagine the teachers' rage when I came out first in the maths. geography and three sciences exams.

Music was the same - first for "theory", but I couldn't play or sing a note, and had no sense of musical rhythm. Music teacher thought it was deliberate as surely no-one could be that bad !

I suppose a lot of it stemmed from the fact that I saw the teachers as snobs (low-ranking army officers, demobbed after WWII as soon as the army could get rid of them) who insisted on being addressed as "lieutenant" and "captain" (no higher ranks). I had been taught (at home) in my early years by an ex-Indian Army colonel, a man of perspicacity and intellect, and these guys were rubbish by comparison. So I guess lack of respect was at the bottom of it. Whether I should have shown it or they should have earned it is debatable, and that ship has long sailed.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Because they misjudged the public, I expect - and didn't expect it to go viral and attract the drooling hordes!

Your right Steve it's cool as can be to be a dumbass in this country. One of the reasons I was happy for my kids to be educated in France.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

In my day it was "cool" to be a pain in the backside to the teachers. It was not my fault I had a retentive memory and found exams easy, and to be fair to my schoolmates, they seemed to recognise this, and never once was I accused of being a "swot"

The phrase "A disruptive influence" occurred with monotonous regularity on my school reports, because teachers could not cope with the concept of a bright but disaffected pupil. It was not helped by a low mark for course-work (1. I never did homework, or "preparation" as this snobbish school called it, and 2. science coursework marks were not for science, but for artistic ability eg drawing rabbit bones, set-ups of bunsen burners and retorts, Wheatstone bridge scenarios etc etc and I cannot draw for nuts) Imagine the teachers' rage when I came out first in the maths. geography and three sciences exams.

Music was the same - first for "theory", but I couldn't play or sing a note, and had no sense of musical rhythm. Music teacher thought it was deliberate as surely no-one could be that bad !

I suppose a lot of it stemmed from the fact that I saw the teachers as snobs (low-ranking army officers, demobbed after WWII as soon as the army could get rid of them) who insisted on being addressed as "lieutenant" and "captain" (no higher ranks). I had been taught (at home) in my early years by an ex-Indian Army colonel, a man of perspicacity and intellect, and these guys were rubbish by comparison. So I guess lack of respect was at the bottom of it. Whether I should have shown it or they should have earned it is debatable, and that ship has long sailed.

Not a doubt in my mind Dave. Respect has to be earned and it does not sound as if those jerks earned an ounce of it.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Well, I'm glad they chose not to go with the boaty name and instead decided to honour the ex controller of BBC2, no matter what anyone else says :schmoll:

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

If it was known/thought that the public didn't give a damn about the boat, then why ask them for suggestions for a name?

Surely the name of the boat isn't as important as the work that they intend to do. So the respect would be for the scientific work done, and not the vessel itself. Naming a ship after a fun style of Caribbean music didn't detract from the work Cousteau did.

It also depends why the 'science' kids were laughed at, was it because they were classed as 'nerds', or because of a massive sense of self importance they had?

John.

LOL. Calypso was not named after "a fun style of Carribean music" The name is from Greek Mythology. Calypso was one of the Oceanid daughters of Tethys and Oceanus

Well, I'm glad they chose not to go with the boaty name and instead decided to honour the ex controller of BBC2, no matter what anyone else says :schmoll:

Nothing to do with him being controller of BBC 2 for me. I have been captivated by the man since I read the "Zoo Quest" books when I was a wee laddie.

The whole "Zoo Quest" series can still be viewed on BBC iPlayer. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00db1jf/episodes/player

What warehouse were those filmed in chesters?

LOL. Calypso was not named after "a fun style of Carribean music" The name is from Greek Mythology. Calypso was one of the Oceanid daughters of Tethys and Oceanus

My mistake, I bow to, and congratulate you, on your superior knowledge of Greek mythology.

To lesser mortals, such as myself, it's still is, and always will be, just a fun style of music.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John