Am I too far gone, to ever return?

gozzer

Anderoo has been seen fishing Farmoor for trout with a very useful extended landing net handle with "Carp Baggin' Machine" adorning the handle, I keep trying to get him to paint over the uncouth text! :)

In my triploid rainbow days the local put and take had double-figure rainbows in it to over 20 lb.

So it seemed logical to me to take my carp net rather than a fly-fishers "flip-up"

There was a lot of (good-natured - at least I assumed it was good -natured, but was not in the least fazed if it wasn't) ribbing about the "size of my tackle", until there was a Troutmasters' fish off.

When I hooked a twenty-one pound rainbow my net engulfed it with ease, followed by a ten-pounder and a few others.

One of my competitors hooked a 14 pounder, and found it too big for his net. So I netted it for him. Cries, (again I assume good-natured) that "ghillies are not allowed"

John

Fishing round the world for any species I could, developed a habit of improvisation. "Choose what seems best on pragmatic first principles" would be my advice. Hang "feeling uneasy" - you go fishing to please yourself, not to astonish others.

That said, best of fortune on June 16th, I would be delighted if you would astonish me with a 2lb roach

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I tend just to use long thin rods for (hopefully) long thin fish and short fat rods for short fat fish ,reels just hold line so just get one big enough to hold twice the lenght of line you need

Unfortunately in the latter fish it appears sea fishing tactics and tackle are now in place instead of guile and experience ,the fish hook themselves you take the picture with little chance of escape in between

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

There are still some proper tackle shops out there, there is one in Evesham that is full to the rafters with stuff, and a lot of it not priced so you have to engage. Always a laugh and a chat to be had, and carp anglers are very much the minority.

Nice.

I now use quite a bit of stuff that was designed for commercial style fishing - landing nets and handles, hooks, little flat bed method feeders, braids. Just ignore the marketing, assess in terms of qualities and function, and there's plenty of good stuff out there. It doesn't matter if you don't feel like you fit in. I 'fit in' on the rivers because no-one else fishes them - everywhere else I'm usually the exception. It doesn't matter.

Unless it bothers you that much, in which case you are too far gone.

Get yourself some jigging gear and driving gloves and get down to Rutland in the autumn ;)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think Vagabond nailed it solidly on the head. Get the gear that suits you and the fish you will target and, most of all, just have fun with your fishing. Otherwise, what's the point.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Gozzer,

Do you remember the old fashioned Coke bottles. String around the concave portion. I did somehow scrounge up fish hooks. Shared lunch for bait.

Come on!! You know what goes around - comes around.

Phone

Edit: You do remember the sling bait delivery method?

Edited by Phone

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really know of any rods in 1.5lb test at 13ft, they all seem to be 11 or 12ft in that power rating.

Only ones I can truly reccommend in that test curve are the Hardys marksman and superos, the 12ft supero barbel is seriously good!

Shimano X-Aero Baitrunners are nice reelBAitrunner do them in smaller sizes also, 2500 and 4000.

Stradics in their various sizes take some beating for float and leger/feeder fishing.

John Wilson Avon's?

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

John Wilson Avon's?

I had a couple and they were a genuine through action but very floppy, the guides were naff and the reel holders were shyte also....nice color blank though, and I did like the long white quivertip.

I got shut of 'em :).

John Wilson Avon's?

I had one of those 13ft JW avons. the build quality wasn't a patch on the early versions of the JW avon and it was tip heavy and floppy when used at 13ft

Mat

Mat