Household IT Upgrade - Phase 1

Rusty

After more years than is healthy with a wired internet connection in my house on a very old ADSL tariff (costing me £25 a month for broadband only) I’ve decided to ditch the BT line and upgrade the connection with my current ISP (Zen). First part is done, fibre optics will be switched on, BT line will be moved to Zen and a wireless router is on its way all for less monthly cost than I used to pay.

The next phase is to get the Smart telly connected to the internet wirelessly and therein lies the problem. It’s a Panasonic TX-L442E5B about 4 years old and I thought it would have wireless capability built in, but it doesn’t, I need an adaptor TY-WL20E at about £75. I don’t want to pay that much, friends suggest I can get a much cheaper universal USB dongle (it has two ports) and I’ve Googled but nothing conclusive comes up.

What are my options do you think? I can run a cable to the telly or stump up for Pansonic’s adaptor but neither of those really appeal. Is there anything else I can do?

Thanks in advance.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Take the plunge and buy a new TV. I don't know about other companies but Richer Sounds have some around £200 Saves a lot of faffing about.

The two best times to go fishing are when it's raining and when it's not

"La conclusión es que los insultos sólo perjudican cuando vienen de alguien que respeto". e5006689.gif

“Vescere bracis meis”

• 2 weeks later...

I've put the telly internet connection on hold for the moment, from what I've seen the hassle outweighs the benefits of extra channels (they're mostly rubbish). My fibre optic internet connection went live today and what a revelation, 41 Mb/s down and 9 Mb/s up (compared to the old 7 down and 0.3 up) which is way more than advertised and I managed to get the wireless router going.

New PC is next on the list, I quite like the idea of an iMac and bent the Apple man's ear in PC world for a couple of hours over the weekend. I came out really impressed.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I could build myself a stonking PC for the price of an iMAC.

• Like 1

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

I could build myself a stonking PC for the price of an iMAC.

with lots of change to spare. Mind you if the only option now is preloaded windows 10 or mac id go with mac bt thank feck i know better and would get a barebones system and install linux.

The system i run now is a monster. ~2.7ghz 8cores, 16gb ram, 1gb nvidia graphics aimed at processing and not gaming but still runs current games well, Dual hd monitors and dual boot(for a few games) win7 and ubuntu.

Was still cheaper than a freakin mac and will shame those who say 'ah but you need a mac for photoshop'

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk