Bolt rigs for roach etc

I saw an article in a mag a couple of months ago about fishing a small lake for quality roach with bread, and the guy used a helicopter rig. As a non carper I don't fully understand the logic of this rig beyond the fact that it is a bolt rig, but I felt I should give it a try. So I went yesterday to a local lake with lots of roach and skimmers, and tried this with a 3" trace with sleeve to make it tangle free, and a 4" link to a 20gm feeder - as per the article, though for a bolt rig I didn't understand why the feeder shouldn't be heavier. Hmm, it took me an age to tie the 3" trace, but eventually I was fishing.

First I baited with double maggot, and got very wary little pulls that didn't develop into bites, except for one when the tip went right round but I still didn't hook a fish. Then I put on a piece of sweetcorn, and straight away I was carped - the tip zinged round and the trace broke!

Grrr, I couldn't be bothered to tie another 3" trace (it was having the sleeve that made it so finicky) so I used my normal Bob Roberts ledger boom with a 3" trace. This worked fine, and I caught plenty of skimmers up to about 3lbs, but I wasn't convinced I was benefitting from the short trace. Quite a few wary pulls never developed into a bite, and I felt the fish were feeling the resistance of the feeder; and for most of the fish I had to strike on the basis of wary pulls without any bolt rig effect. I didn't get any roach, I assume they were spawning, but I experienced the same thing when I tried it with roach about 10 years ago.

Now I know some people's experience is different, but I would be interested to know if you find bolt rigs for non carp/tench/barbel work particularly well in certain circumstances. I can entirely see the point when you are fishing 3 feeder rods for mega roach in the middle of winter, where you would need a self-hooking approach. I also wondered about fishing a pacey river as an alternative to upstream ledgering.

I would appreciate comments.

john clarke

Up to 40 yards I much prefer conventional running ledger rigs on stillwaters. I call it fishing as opposed to trapping with bolt rigs. However at distance on big waters I swap to a helicopter style because of its tangle free nature.

I've been messing around with the helicopter bolt rigs for roach/rudd for a couple of summers now, in an attempt to convert short, snatchy bites into fish. I ended up using a heavier feeder than that, 30g I think. I first started with popped up maggots but found I got a lot more bites with bottom baits.

The trick seems to be keeping a very tight line between the feeder and the rod top, which is easiest by pointing the rod at the rig and using a very heavy bobbin right up by the rod, and fish for drop backs. Very exciting when it's working!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I remember using a 2 ounce lead with a float stop at the back of it to make it bolt style and a short hooklength with a string of three or four pieces of sweetcorn on a hair whilst targetting chub and barbel. First thing to rattle the tip was an eel. The rod rattled again next cast and I was expecting another snig but it was a roach of a couple of pounds. After that it was a roach a cast, all around the 2lb mark. I had about a dozen before wrapping up as it just felt wrong catching two pound roach on a 1.75lb barbel rod and a size 6 hook, there really was no pleasure in it at all!

Just showed that the bolt rig does work for them and on a more suitable set up it could be good fun.

It might sound incredilbe but it didn't feel like it at the time.

I forgot to mention the line I was using, the mainline was 12lb fox camo and I think (it was a few years back now and i've had other things on my mind since) the hooklength was 10lb drennan sink braid, so no finness whatsoever! If i'd been targetting them I probably wouldn't have had a sniff.

The back end of the season just gone several people where legering for barbel and chub, they where on the opposite bank and just couple of hundred yards upstream of where I caught those. One of them had a large peice of bread as bait and caught a 3lb 3 ounce roach, so they where still there and had grown a bit!

I get the barbel gear scenario when catching such prime roach, it really feels like cheating. I love catching barbel but big roach for me are the tops. I always refer to Bob James's huge roach haul in Passion for Angling, on the 'tip' far bank, a couple of 3lb fish in the mix, and the rest all over 2lb. That would do nicely ^_^

If i'm honest roach have never really done it for me, I prefer a fish that puts up a it od a scrap when hooked. Don't get me wrong,it's nice to catch a good sized specimen as the larger roach do seem to be quite thin on the ground, either that or they're too smart to be caught, i'd say a mix of the two.

I'd much prefer to wind in a 3lb grayling than the equivalent roach, they give a far better fight and are imo a nicer looking fish :).

The damned hard work to, normally associated with catching a 2lb Roach is well understood, let alone a 3lb specimen, the big ones have seen it all before, that's why they are a challenge, Oh! and the sheer beauty of a 'Redfin' that fills the hand is for me no better image in Angling. My best Roach is 2lb 12 ounces, if I ever was to surpass that I would be a happy bunny, but alas the chances are slim due to predation, I am talking river of course.

It's the 16th May, so just one calendar month to go, this season I really must give the float rod an airing.

If i'm honest roach have never really done it for me, I prefer a fish that puts up a it od a scrap when hooked. Don't get me wrong,it's nice to catch a good sized specimen as the larger roach do seem to be quite thin on the ground, either that or they're too smart to be caught, i'd say a mix of the two.

I'd much prefer to wind in a 3lb grayling than the equivalent roach, they give a far better fight and are imo a nice looking fish :).

Fixed for you :hypocrite: