Bolt rigs for roach etc

Nowt wrong with dynamite

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Delicate biting fish....lol.

They can be delicate biting fish but that can apply to all species of fish if they're wary...even pike!

If the float ( my favourite method) isn't working then you have tp try other methods to get a result. Regarding bolt rigs for crucians, isn't that how Martin Bowler caught his record cru?

Following on from you dozen or so 2lb Roach on Barbel gear that you dismissed as 'not right' I thought at least you might have agreed, Comparing Pike to Roach, Ha! Big Roach are wary, don't let anyone tell you different, Pike are idiots, seen 'em come back time and time again for a lure fished in the margins, would have been easier to net them. However that is the nature of the beast. Good for MB when I next see him I will remind him what a cad he is :hammer:

Following on from you dozen or so 2lb Roach on Barbel gear that you dismissed as 'not right' I thought at least you might have agreed, Comparing Pike to Roach, Ha! Big Roach are wary, don't let anyone tell you different, Pike are idiots, seen 'em come back time and time again for a lure fished in the margins, would have been easier to net them. However that is the nature of the beast. Good for MB when I next see him I will remind him what a cad he is :hammer:

You sound a little sceptical about my roach on barbel gear, I don't blame you for that as you don't know me from adam and the world is full of bull-shiners. I won't bore you with any other of my made up tales :).

Regarding the pike being shy feeders, yes that's true also. Ok you get pike that will literally hang themselves if you where to leave a bait hanging close enough to the surface. Only last season I had quite a large pike trying to get in my landing net to snatch a barbel, and the net was right next to my feet!...but then again i've watched pike go over to both live and dead baits,study them and shy away just as perch do. I've seen this happen on many occassions. I've had pike give very shy bites as they feel/mouth the bait checking it out only to drop it...so yes pike can be just as shy as roach or any other fish.

Oh I do love these general comparisons on the merits of each type of fish. The roach is shy biting, chub are the most fearful of all fishes, pike are greedy and stupid, carp are cautious, and hard to catch, etc. Anyone who's been fishing for a number of years, and actually takes notice of what's happening, will realise that every fish can be any, or all, of the above, depending on season, conditions, location, and of course the angler. I believe it also depends on the fish itself. I've said on here, that it's logical that fish of the same species, even the same shoal, and year class, will differ in their approach to any situation. Some will have a better sense of smell/taste, some quicker reflexes, some better eyesight, etc. So to generalise on the fish according to the species only, is naïve to say the least.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Oh I do love these general comparisons on the merits of each type of fish. The roach is shy biting, chub are the most fearful of all fishes, pike are greedy and stupid, carp are cautious, and hard to catch, etc. Anyone who's been fishing for a number of years, and actually takes notice of what's happening, will realise that every fish can be any, or all, of the above, depending on season, conditions, location, and of course the angler. I believe it also depends on the fish itself. I've said on here, that it's logical that fish of the same species, even the same shoal, and year class, will differ in their approach to any situation. Some will have a better sense of smell/taste, some quicker reflexes, some better eyesight, etc. So to generalise on the fish according to the species only, is naïve to say the least.

John.

Comparing fish as far as bold or otherwise feeders is a very realistic observation. Predators such as Pike, or Perch for example have to be bold, because of their very nature, they hunt prey, the reflexes are explosive and have to commit as opposed to say Roach or Carp. How you can say it is naive to think otherwise is well...naive ;)

You sound a little sceptical about my roach on barbel gear, I don't blame you for that as you don't know me from adam and the world is full of bull-shiners. I won't bore you with any other of my made up tales :).

Regarding the pike being shy feeders, yes that's true also. Ok you get pike that will literally hang themselves if you where to leave a bait hanging close enough to the surface. Only last season I had quite a large pike trying to get in my landing net to snatch a barbel, and the net was right next to my feet!...but then again i've watched pike go over to both live and dead baits,study them and shy away just as perch do. I've seen this happen on many occassions. I've had pike give very shy bites as they feel/mouth the bait checking it out only to drop it...so yes pike can be just as shy as roach or any other fish.

Yes Pike can be shy, especially in Winter when they are torpid, but I think it would be plain daft not to agree that Roach are so much different and of all the species can be the most frustrating when attempting to strike into them, but that is the fascination, how boring would it be if we had a 100% success rate?

Like Tigger I've caught a fair few large roach when Barbel fishing, at least 90% of them hooked themselves against a heavy (but running) feeder or lead, they all took large baits intended for Barbel except for my biggest @ 3.6 which took a bunch of maggots, as many as can be got onto a size10. :)

I'm puzzled Neil, you seem to dismiss my points in the post to me, and then agree with me in your post to Tigger!

Like many others, I've had/seen roach pull the rod out of the rest, and also watched them take and eject a bait several times without registering on the float. The same with pike, they have taken a bait cautiously, after close inspection, others have just flared the gills and engulfed the bait in a flash. Opposite ends of the spectrum as far as taking a bait is concerned, all dependent on different things, one of which, as you seem to agree, is the 'season'.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John