Bolt rigs for roach etc

So where did we get to with the bolt rigs discussion?

Waiting for a bite ?

I would not like to be limited to one method for roach. Even in the same water, roach can behave differently on different days.

Thinking about the various methods for targetting roach, my first approach on still water would be float fishing at short range.

I might elect to use a free running leger if it were very windy and choppy (rod tip below surface) In the unlikely event of my wanting to fish at long range, then a helicopter rig, 2 oz lead and tight line makes sense, but I prefer to fish close in.

Again, on a river, float ( trotting ) would be my "go to" choice, but stret-pegging, laying on, or a running leger are useful alternatives. Having said that, one of my best river roach came to a free-lined lobworm (I was after chub). :g:

One characteristic of my roach fishing, is that in still waters I find a nuisance carp is onto my hook within the hour, and when river fishing, after about the same time interval, I get a two-pounder plus to take the bait, and find I am into a chub.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Stop and have a think about a semi fixed bolt rigs mechanics.

Compare to a free running set up and a float rig.

With the last two a big Roach sucks in the bait, feels resistance and ejects bait in a very fast split second.

This can and does happen with a semi fixed bolt rig when using small hooks and baits as the hook does not turn/flip as well as a bigger hook BUT if the hook goes into the mouth at correct angle the Roach still feels resistance, tries to spit out bait, pricks itself, bolts and hooks itself.

Another detail to point out is that most Roach on conventional methods are hooked in top lip.

Most fish on semi fixed bolt rigs are hooked in corners or bottom lip.

If targeting big Roach using a semi fixed bolt rig I personally would use a mag alignier rig on one rod and a semi bouyant rubber maggot on the other to see which works better.

Edited by RUDD

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Stop and have a think about a semi fixed bolt rigs mechanics.

Compare to a free running set up and a float rig.

With the last two a big Roach sucks in the bait, feels resistance and ejects bait in a very fast split second.

This can and does happen with a semi fixed bolt rig when using small hooks and baits as the hook does not turn/flip as well as a bigger hook BUT if the hook goes into the mouth at correct angle the Roach still feels resistance, tries to spit out bait, pricks itself, bolts and hooks itself.

Another detail to point out is that most Roach on conventional methods are hooked in top lip.

Most fish on semi fixed bolt rigs are hooked in corners or bottom lip.

If targeting big Roach using a semi fixed bolt rig I personally would use a mag alignier rig on one rod and a semi bouyant rubber maggot on the other to see which works better.

If you use a running rig and have taught lines it works just like a bolt rig set up anyhow, most fish caught with a quiver tip will be hooked without the need to strike.

If you use a running rig and have taught lines it works just like a bolt rig set up anyhow, most fish caught with a quiver tip will be hooked without the need to strike.

A thought: running rig with tight line and just enough lead.

Fish picks up bait, hooklink straightens, lead is slightly dislodged causing taught line to move it backwards a few mm causing a self hook rig?

An article read lately indicated that many anglers fishing the method use two soft a quiver tip giving fish a chance to drop a bait.

Must dash, going for a rare dangle!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Too soft a quiver tip - thanks, that sounds like me.

Re your earlier post, what is a mag alignier rig?

A thought: running rig with tight line and just enough lead.

Fish picks up bait, hooklink straightens, lead is slightly dislodged causing taught line to move it backwards a few mm causing a self hook rig?

An article read lately indicated that many anglers fishing the method use two soft a quiver tip giving fish a chance to drop a bait.

Must dash, going for a rare dangle!

john clarke

Agreed - allow softness or slack into the setup and it won't be anywhere near as effective. I'd still recommend swapping the quivertip for a normal rod, point it straight at the rig and clip on a very heavy bobbin.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have never set out to catch Roach on bolt rigs but I often catch decent sized Roach and Rudd over a pound by accident when fishing bolt rigs with smaller boilies etc when after Tench and Bream on various pits and reservours to suggest it is a very viable method for big Roach.

However saying that there are the odd venue where this has never ever happened including a Kent pit I fish. If I total up all the hours I have fished at that venue it is quiet extraordinary that I have not fluked a good sized Roach on a bolt rig. i have had nice Roach and Rudd on float tackle so they are there but for what ever season they never show to me on bolt rigged baits. So maybe it might not be as good a method as I think it could be. It may be one of the those horses for courses kind of things.

I think as others have suggested if i where targeting Roach then I would go running rig with a tight line and heavy bobbin to get the bolt effect rather then a bolt effect off a lead or feeder.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

The best way to research the method is to look up info on fishing at willow pond at Linch hill. From memory there's plenty on the web about it.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music