Identity of this aquatic plant?

philocalist

But its pretty safe all the same ,no expensive koi died my job would have been threatened if they did LOL

Perfectly legal in 1990

www.gov.uk/../geho0110brzk-e-e.pdf

No idea about now

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a sod, it spreads out from the shallows over deeper water, breaking up easily and each fragment could become a new plant. A good dragging during the year when necessary might help, in spite of this. With a boat it should be possible to use a bit more care, netting any fragments visible.

Borrow a manatee from somewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/296857/geho0110brzk-e-e.pdf

http://wric.ucdavis.edu/information/natural%20areas/wr_N/Nymphoides.pdf

Edited by Latimeria

The Seeds attatch themself to Waterfowl so that is how they might have got in the water to start with,they can be kept in control by cutting back each year,it is the seed pods you need to keep a eye on,use nets and gather in the Lilies,they do not harm the water if kept in check,in fact they can give the water some cover and the fish shade in warmer weather so they are not that bad but you have to keep them in check or they will cover the whole pool,cutting and using nets is the answer,the nets will catch the seed pods stopping the spread or at least slowing it down...do this every year and it will be fine.

Take life as it comes,you get one chance so enjoy it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update this for anyone following; ... the bloody stuff is resisting all attempts at control and removal. I'm tending towards the belief that it shares DNA with triffids :-)

Cutting has proved the fastest method of removal initially, but we've recently seen it reappear growing up through four feet of water from a lake bed where it was known / observed to be less than two inches high (after cutting AND raking what was left on the bottom) in just TEN days. It's like a war of attrition with the odds heavily on the plants winning, unfortunately. Regreattably it would seem that keeping all swims fishable at the lake is not going to be possible for this year, and the best plan is likely to concentrate on a selected few, and do our best to control the spread elsewhere, then hopefully blitz it with cutters and rakes later in the year and again in spring, removing as much as possible on the basis that what ain't there can't grow back.

Avoiding it spreading is likely impossible - its just not viable to gather up 100% of the cut stuff, and seeds will be spread about naturally by wind, waterflow and the resident wildfowl anyway.

Just need to organise some decent, reliable work parties now ... which means the plans will probably be dead in the blocks :-)