Once a grandfather, always a grandfather

Vagabond

I have taught all my ten grandchildren to fish, one or two even persisted in fishing beyond their teens, and the youngest (now 12) is nearing the end of her apprenticeship (once they reach the age of 14, I only give advice if asked for it)

Other grandfatherly duties have included dressing up in Yogi Bear suits for toddlers' birthdays, officiating as referee, manager, and reserve for the losing side at garden football, looking after them for a few days at a time as they tore round the house like demented gerbils (our ground floor is split-level, connected by two steps, and it was a point of honour with them that they never used the steps, but cleared them with one jump, as the carpet wear on the landing-point attests), and generally acting as chauffeur, bodyguard, cash dispenser, ghillie and nurse whenever their exhausted parents needed a break .

As I say, the youngest is now 12, and living in Texas, so one might think the grandfatherly duties are becoming less demanding. Not so, the eldest granddaughter is to marry, and black bow ties and evening dress are de rigeur. Having spent most of the last thirty years either fishing or crewing steam locomotives, my wardrobe reflects this (think Wesley Pegden) so new gear was ordered. It arrived last week. Tried it on, felt like a prat, dressing-table mirror confirmed my feelings. Ah well. There are only nine other grandchildren.....

• Like 1

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

. Having spent most of the last thirty years either fishing or crewing steam locomotives, my wardrobe reflects this (think Wesley Pegden) so new gear was ordered. It arrived last week. Tried it on, felt like a prat, dressing-table mirror confirmed my feelings. Ah well. There are only nine other grandchildren.....

Mine's probably more like Compo's - it's one of my worst nightmares being invited to anything, from weddings to funerals, there's always something else I'd rather do.

I'd make an exception for my son if he's reading this and ever decides to get married and present us with grandchildren. :bye1:

I'll not go so far as to say I'd buy a suit, but I might be persuaded to add a neck-tie to my collection of none.

I have just chucked away a dozen silk ties as I have no intention of ever wearing one again.

I was much better dressed in the 60s and 70s than I am now. 3 piece mohair suits, Italian shoes and silk tie and pocket handkerchief.

Now if I put jeans on I am getting dressed up.

• Like 1

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

My naïve new mrs boiled my silk tie i wore for our wedding ,poor thing ended up like a leather shoe insole.

Never looked good "dressed up" look worse still in casuals .

My dress sence is ok so i buy 12 T shirts and 12 pairs of trousers and 12 pairs of socks so to the outsider look like i never change .

My only hangup is shoes i never get rid of a pair untill they fall apart and i only wear one pair at a time but reserve a pair for "best" that have been worn a couple of times in ten years.

Being a slob doesnt bother me what others think doesnt concern me

All 3 of my children fished but as for grandkids i have little to do with them and all but one out of ten are female and all to far away to see ,just out of my ten mile radius

Edited by chesters1
  • Like 1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Vagabond, on 22 May 2016 - 19:02, said:

I have taught all my ten grandchildren to fish, one or two even persisted in fishing beyond their teens, and the youngest (now 12) is nearing the end of her apprenticeship (once they reach the age of 14, I only give advice if asked for it)

Other grandfatherly duties have included dressing up in Yogi Bear suits for toddlers' birthdays, officiating as referee, manager, and reserve for the losing side at garden football, looking after them for a few days at a time as they tore round the house like demented gerbils (our ground floor is split-level, connected by two steps, and it was a point of honour with them that they never used the steps, but cleared them with one jump, as the carpet wear on the landing-point attests), and generally acting as chauffeur, bodyguard, cash dispenser, ghillie and nurse whenever their exhausted parents needed a break .

As I say, the youngest is now 12, and living in Texas, so one might think the grandfatherly duties are becoming less demanding. Not so, the eldest granddaughter is to marry, and black bow ties and evening dress are de rigeur. Having spent most of the last thirty years either fishing or crewing steam locomotives, my wardrobe reflects this (think Wesley Pegden) so new gear was ordered. It arrived last week. Tried it on, felt like a prat, dressing-table mirror confirmed my feelings. Ah well. There are only nine other grandchildren.....

And you've loved every minute of it. :lol:

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

Being fairly new to this Grandfather game, (mine has just gone 13months), I'm loving every minute of it. He's my mate, always has a smile for me, reaches out to me as soon as I walk into the room, brings his toys for me to play with, loves going in 'Grandads, Brmmm' (car), and has made my life feel more worthwhile, than it has for years. I hope he will take more interest in angling than his dad did, and that I'm still active enough to take him when the time comes.

As for 'dressing up', I'm the same as most of those above. I'm happiest in jeans and a T shirt, dislike any formal wear, and only wear a suit/tie, if nagged by my wife or daughter, even then the tie gets gradually slacker, until it comes off completely.

Could this be an angler thing?

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Enjoy it ,in 50% of cases they will get worse LOL ,i tell parents of screaming brats they should see them at 8 when parents cannot do anything right!

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson