Got it right and had a great day!

Fishplate 42

On Wednesday, this week, while fishing with a friend, I eventually discovered that how I feed the swim, dictated what fish I attract. By matching the hook bait I could bias the catch one way or another in favour or roach or perch. Feeding a few maggots and fishing a dead maggot over a pile of my Surf 'n' Turf groundbait, laced with a few maggots, I could use a dead maggot for hook-bait and attract roach. By changing the feeding to maggots and casters cupped in and fishing using a caster on the hook, caught the perch that were licking their lips at the small roach. The full story of our day can be found HERE.

I can't believe how effective the casters are. I am also surprised that dead maggots seem to be far more attractive than live ones, when targeting silvers. As time goes on, I am realising there is method here; getting the fish into the swim and then building it. Obvious maybe, but it is only when it starts to work that it feels like I am working it out for myself, rather than asking for 'instructions' - Great feeling!

Ralph :)

It was T H I S big, honest!

My Blog

The pond i bailiff is weird ,yesterday everyone was catching today no-one ,you can sit and bag up on bait x but the next day using the exact same setup you will blank so a bit premature to think you have sussed a pond out LOL

The pond also has a switch in the summer it goes off about 10.30 am and comes back on about 4.30 and they start feeding again.

If fishing could be "cracked" there would be little point doing it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Very interesting, I have long kept many small containers of frozen maggots and casters in the freezer so I can go fishing at the drop of a hat even if I have no live maggots handy (nearest bait shop is seven miles away) .

Looked at the blog - and they were nice tench that you and your mate caught.

Re the maggots. Yep, one huge advantage of using frozen or dead maggots as loose feed is that they don't burrow into the bottom, and so they all , well almost all, stay on the bottom attracting/getting eaten by fish - ie a little goes a long way. It makes sense, if your loose feed is bringing fish in, to use the same bait (ie dead maggot) on the hook. ..and casters have always been a good bait, as many on here will agree. But re-reading the blog, it sounds as if you fed live maggots, and fished dead ones - is that right ? I think, if roach like the one in your blog are feeding well they will take live, dead, or frozen maggots with equal zeal, and a lot of other baits beside. They might seem to prefer one bait or another on a particular day, but next time could well be different.

Just a cautionary note, many times I (and many others) have had a good catch, related it to my tactics on the day, and thought I had cracked it, only to find quite another scenario next time I go - I am reminded of Dick Walker's words. "Fishing will always exceed in diversity all the ready-made angling formulae ever devised". Perhaps that is truer of rivers than commercial fisheries though.

But glad you had a good day, such posts are always welcome. Is that fishery just north of East Grinstead ? I have heard of it, but never fished it, although it is not far away.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I realise that the situation will change day to day, venue to venue, but what pleased me was I managed to read the water and catch different fish by modifying my feeding regime and hook bait.

That is Beaver Farm fishery Fishery just north of East Grinstead, on the A22 at Lingfield, (RH7 6HL) I have been there lots of times over the past year or so. It has seven lakes and three ponds and I have not fished all of them yet. There are plenty of posts on my blog showing days out there one lots of different waters. Just put 'Beaver' into the search box on my blog and you will get lots of links to the various waters I have fished so far.

I ought to say I have no connection with the fishery other than being a happy customer.

Ralph :)

It was T H I S big, honest!

My Blog

A question? We're you fishing the dead maggot on the bottom/deck?

A live maggot with a hook in it does not look the same as a live loose feed one whilst dropping though the layers.

Yet a dead one on the deck looks the same as any (dead or alive) other.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Sounds like a good trip and thanks for posting a report.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek