Opticron V Velbon hide clamp

RUDD

With my Daughters getting into taking a few snaps with I phones and now onto my DSLR combined with a relative giving me an old but very optically nice KOWA TSN scope and case it was time for a decent tripod and hide clamp.

Tripod requirements were:

1. Has to be good enough to take a large scope as well as the DSLR.

2. Come with a decent head and a footplate (scope has its own velbon footplate).

3. Reliable, sturdy and hardy.

4. As cheap as possible!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Have a removable centre column for use with a hide clamp.

A velbon Sherpa 200R fits the bill nicely but a new one costs approx. £70 o £80 quid

Took a look on ebay and followed a few - they go for approx. £40 - £50 secondhand.

After a few weeks spotted someone selling a PH157Q (that was ebay description), a PH157Q is a three way pan head that come with the Sherpa - so took a look.

The actual item being sold was a Velbon Delta tripod with a PH157Q and the footplate. Done some research and a Velbon delta is the same as a Velbon Sherpa, it was badged for a company called In focus - simple as that. This was confirmed by Velbon.

Started watching - no bids, to cut a long story short I won it for £27 including delivery - BARGIN - its in tip top condition.

Now the reason I am posting is because of the hide clamp, hence the title.

After two months not even seen one on ebay in an auction, plenty of Velbon ones for approx. £45 new

I suspect most people buy a hide clamp, fit the correct insert, throw away the others and keep the hide clamp with their tripod (which makes sense).

A bit of online research reveals there is a clamp by Opticron for £30, Vebon for £45 or Manfrotto for £60 - a big difference in price for a bit of kit that does the same.

More research and not many answers as to why the price difference - maybe better built, better materials - who knows?

So I rand a very well known scope/bino/birding shop AND ASKED!

The answer: Comparing side by side the Opticron and Velbon are identical apart from company marking, so much so they concluded they come from same factory - as do the infocus delta ones.

The manfrotto ones are different and have an insert for use with carbon fibre centre columns.

The shop owners thoughts were that people like their hide clamp to match the same make as their tripod - its that simple!

Sounds like many anglers doesn't it :) :) :) have to have kit that matches or a certain name on it.

I have purchased an opticron version and can honestly say its a great piece of kit and that the pictures on all websites do not do it any justice at all.

Conclusion: Save yourself a tenner and buy the Opticron one - I have now compared against a relatives velbon version and can confirm they are almost identical!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

There's one problem that can occur when using a hide clamp for photography.

Many hides have a tendency to be rickety, you can often feel the movement when someone just walks across the floor, you'll definitely see it if you're using a scope at the time.

The camera will also "see" it, and your daughter's pics may not be as sharp as they could be.

There's one problem that can occur when using a hide clamp for photography.

Many hides have a tendency to be rickety, you can often feel the movement when someone just walks across the floor, you'll definitely see it if you're using a scope at the time.

The camera will also "see" it, and your daughter's pics may not be as sharp as they could be.

Cheers for info, will bear that in mind.

It will make it easier whilst watching and waiting for a subject to turn round or to fiddle with settings without losing the subject.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!