Fishing the Avon near Fordingbridge...

Jas1975

Been fishing for over 30 years, but as stupid as it sounds - I've never fished a proper river before.

Have a week in a lovely thatched cottage just North East of Fordingbridge in August which sits on the River Avon (with private fishing included), and wondered what species as well as recommended methods might be in that stretch?

I was thinking quivertipping for any chub/roach/perch that might be about and perhaps trying to teach myself long-trotting (I have a 14ft Drennan float rod and a centrepin somewhere).

Any barbel on the stretch?

Cheers

Jason

forumsig.jpg

It's a stunning stretch of River there, and a lovely place to trot a float or two, not sure of the rules that refer to wading, so you need to check. Assuming you can your Drennan 14 ft will be just fine. it's what I use, 6lb line straight through. Of course this time of year will see a huge amount of small fish, so I would not use maggots, caster possibly as it can get you the better fish.

There are still a few Roach, and Chub, but the Barbel are fewer in numbers compared with previous years, but the are still in the Redds and gravels so always expect to catch one.

The streamer weed will be prolific, but with care should be no problem, and for me enhances the fishing.

Been fishing for over 30 years, but as stupid as it sounds - I've never fished a proper river before.

Consider feeding pellet, and on the hook, I use a low oil pellet, that is for Carp, it does attract the better fish, just use a band on the hook, this pellet swells so should stay on fine. Punched meat also and corn...and maybe Bread.

Don't forget the Royalty stretch at Christchuch too, you can get a DT but possibly you need to pre book, the Mecca for Big Barbel, and of course the Harbour in xchurch where some Roach Rudd Mullet, etc abound...lucky man, Oh! and this River fishing lark will be the end of stillwater bashing for you I bet. :P

Edited by Neil Smart

Thanks for the reply Neil. I'm getting rather excited now - usually my holidays with the family involve flying to somewhere full of tourists, suffering busy beaches and the like - so this will be the first time in 20 odd years of a proper relaxing holiday for me.

Decided to take the Fox Avon rod (float and quiver sections), the dropshot rod and the 14 foot Drennan float.Hopefully should cover everything. Getting disillusioned a bit with the carp puddles so leaving all the carp gear at home to learn something new, hopefully this will reinvigorate my fishing somewhat.

forumsig.jpg

If you catch any rainbow trout - make sure you know the difference between these and brown trout - it is compulsory to remove them, the reason being there has been a mass escape from a fish farm in the Fordingbridge area.

Until 2003 I was in a syndicate with about 4 miles of both banks around Downton, just upstream of Fordingbridge. There were many lovely chub in those days, with my best at 6lb 10oz. I think I've heard the roach are making a comeback, but I'm not up to date as I moved up to the Midlands.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jas,

Would be interested to know about the property you are staying in at Fordingbridge. Would you be able to PM me the details?

Thanks,

Chris

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

I should stick with a fixed spool reel for trotting.

Dealing with moving water for the first time, mending he line, controlling the pat of the float and all the rest of it will be hard enough without trying to get to grips with a new type of reel as well.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Hi Jas,

Would be interested to know about the property you are staying in at Fordingbridge. Would you be able to PM me the details?

PM won't function until after his 15th post.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President