Need some advice on feeder bream fishing (river)

Vas

When ever i go fishing for bream on the river in summer i usually try to get there for 4:30 morning so i am all ready and set up fishing by 5:00. In my experience i am always catching up until 9:00 then it gets a bit quiet with some occasional bites and fish, usually just perch sometimes i get another bream and then it goes brain dead by 10:00. I am not really sure what happens and how can i carry on catching fish ? iv heard that fish backs away from the feed or maybe i should be feeding another spot but i always get paranoid that what if bream comes back to my feed again and im not there :D Only when river is up or its raining i can be catching all day long but in clear summers day it has been pretty much same experience every time and im not sure what can i do because i can gladly sit there for many more hours.

Any tips and advice welcome :D thanks

Edited by Vas

Not a lot you can do about it Vas, Bream don't like (feed well in) bright sun. Days when the river is up and has some colour and days when its cloudy and windy will always be better. Or you could try night Fishing.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Rusty is the resident bream expert!

However, my experience on the Thames mirrors yours and as Lutra says bream are notorious for hating bright conditions, so what you are experiencing is 100% predictable. I find the Thames bream feed best during the day only in totally minging conditions - windy, overcast and with a bit of colour in the water. Happily though even if the rod tips are all over the place, the bream really hang on and you can't miss the bites - like a slow barbel bite - the tip pulls down and keeps going.

My only suggestion if you are keen to try and crack this is to maybe lengthen your hook link to 6 ft. Or limit your daytime fishing on bright days to when there is colour in the water. Failing that as Lutra suggests, try starting late afternoon, dump all the bait in, and then fish over the top into the night - that's what I do with some degree of success - the Thames bream move prodigious distances. You could even try fishing through till after dawn, and I suspect you will have optimised your opportunities with these slabs!

Vas I normally don't post here much these days as when I do it normally gets ignored as I assume I know little of value.

However I fish a lot at night for bream on still waters and rivers and also a lot of day river sessions too. Strangely the river bream often do not feed all the dark hours but wake up just before first light and feed strongly until about 6.30. It varies a little if its a very dull day or pouring with rain and even duller they will feed longer.

If the river has strong flow, more than normal, and extra colour they may feed all day.

If I am not fishing overnight I aim to be on the river before first light putting bait in and with rods ready and of course this time of year it means being there well before 4am. Its the only sure way of getting time enough to get a good bag of fish.

But there are exceptions. As the season goes on they become happier to feed daytime. I fished the fens once in august a couple of years ago with bright hot sunny conditions, high pressure, a gin clear river . All terrible bream conditions but caught all day. So you can only go when you can and fish it the best you can.

Still water fish are again different.

Vas I normally don't post here much these days as when I do it normally gets ignored as I assume I know little of value.

However I fish a lot at night for bream on still waters and rivers and also a lot of day river sessions too. Strangely the river bream often do not feed all the dark hours but wake up just before first light and feed strongly until about 6.30. It varies a little if its a very dull day or pouring with rain and even duller they will feed longer.

If the river has strong flow, more than normal, and extra colour they may feed all day.

If I am not fishing overnight I aim to be on the river before first light putting bait in and with rods ready and of course this time of year it means being there well before 4am. Its the only sure way of getting time enough to get a good bag of fish.

But there are exceptions. As the season goes on they become happier to feed daytime. I fished the fens once in august a couple of years ago with bright hot sunny conditions, high pressure, a gin clear river . All terrible bream conditions but caught all day. So you can only go when you can and fish it the best you can.

Still water fish are again different.

Always thought you were an experienced knowledgeable angler personally, who offers up some great tips John, keep 'em coming.

"you can only go when you can and fish it the best you can"

A very good philosophy for those like me who do not live near a big river, and have to book sessions on such as the Thames, Severn and Bure well in advance. It applies to all fish, not just bream. Have just had a week on the Thames after perch and roach, and had to work very hard for the fish. Never mind, the object was to go fishing, and we certainly achieved that. A good catch is a bonus.

Comments from locals who "know their patch " (such as your good self) are always useful and welcome.

Our globe-trotting days are almost over, but the main point was "being there". , whether it is stalking permit on the Belize coral flats, freelining for tigerfish on the Okavango, or trotting for roach on the Thames. You can't learn it all in a few days, just fish as well as you can.

In fact, thinking about it, its a philosophy for all fishing, and even for life itself.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...