A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

The forum seems pretty void of any fishing reports lately so i'll post mine from yesterday.

As predicted the weather was on the warm side but the river was calling so I decided to go and sail the float back and forth for a few hours. The river was up a little on it's low levels and carrying colour, a bit like tea with no milk added which I belive to be from one of the bigger tribs which is fed from areas of peat.

Anyhow first trott through produced a small chub of about 8 ounces, then a huge dace! It was a dace and not one of the deceiving hybrids you occassionally catch. The session continued with the small chub and every now and then another seriously large dace. I should have weighed one of those dace but was stood on a slightly raised patch of gravel and large stones mid river so it was a pain to go back to the bank. These fish where great to catch but I was actually fishing for barbel and larger chub but they just weren't having it for some reason. Eventually I caught a small barbel of a pound, the second one of this size in this spot over the last couple od sessions which was nice to see for the future. For a change i'd taken another rod more suited to legerring and so set it up with a small bomb and had a dabble at rolling a pellet for a spell. It was interesting to note that the bites felt exactly like the zander bites you get on Andrews fish in, just a sort of little tap and the I struck, blimey did this fish pull back! I was using a hardy marksman avon rod and the heavier of the ones they made but this fish not only bent it over but actually flattend it out! Eventually I netted it and decided to weigh it as it looked every bit a double. I was surprised to see it was only 9 1/2 lb but it was the biggest looking and hardest fighting fish of that size i've ever had. I carried on with the method for a little longer and after about ten minuites I got that zander tap again, this fish was so powerfull I did give it a little line, only a little though other wwise it would have been into a half sunken tree and lost for sure. I have no odea what kind of size the fish was but it was another shockingly powerfull one. Unfortunatly the hook pulled out of the fish so i'll never know what size it was, probably smaller than it felt "I hope" lol. I was using a small 12's hook so I would imagine it pulled out of the fishes skin with me having to hold it back so hard to stop it getting to the snag, i'd much prefer to loose a fish like that than it get in a snag with the possibility of getting tetherd.

I deicided to revert back to trotting again and was glad I did as the action was quite hectic, nothing massive but lots of small chub with a few larger 4 /5 lbers mixed in and more of those monster dace. I know there are plenty of gudgeon in this river but I very rarely catch 'em, I presume because of the way I fish, thicker line and larger baits but I did get one yesterday which I had a good look at before letting it slip away :).

Sorry for the lack of pic's gents but I was burgled a few months back and still haven't got round to getting a new computer, I can't put a pic up with this pad thingy.

By the way, if you do go out in this sunny spell rememmber to take a hat that covers your neck and ears and put some sunscreen on your face, I forgott to do both yesterday and am sufferring fot it right now!

• Like 8

Nice catch Ian but I’m afraid without photographic verification it’s not eligible for the ‘AnglersNet Largest Float Caught Barbel Competition’. Shame really because it was larger than mine but rules are rules. By my reckoning I’m still in the lead :bleh:.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Nice catch Ian but I’m afraid without photographic verification it’s not eligible for the ‘AnglersNet Largest Float Caught Barbel Competition’. Shame really because it was larger than mine but rules are rules. By my reckoning I’m still in the lead :bleh:.

My best on the float is not far short of twelve, not this year mind.

Best on the leger is 14-8. All down to luck Chris, unless you can see a big specimen and cast at it it's gott'a be luck. There's a lot less doubles in the river I fish than people would have you belive. A couple of years back I had 398 barbel and only three where doubles although i'm sure there was another one but I had no scales to verify.

If everything goes to plan I might be able to get out one day this week, maybe get summot decent, maybe not lol.

Great stuff as always Ian :)

Thank's Rick :).

Nice report, I always enjoy reading your fishing reports.

• Like 1

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

Another session today, trotting on a couple of my favourite swims. The fishing started off slow as I only got trout, average dace and small chub in my first spot. I made a move a couple of hundred yards downstream to the next swim and got a nice trout of 2 plus pound next trott through a barbel of 6 or 7lb. I finnished up with seven barbel, one decent chub of about 4lb, a few small chub, a few dace and some nice trout, not a bad few hours out...appart from getting several soakings in passing thunder and lightening storms!

• Like 4

My best on the float is not far short of twelve, not this year mind.

Best on the leger is 14-8. All down to luck Chris, unless you can see a big specimen and cast at it it's gott'a be luck. There's a lot less doubles in the river I fish than people would have you belive. A couple of years back I had 398 barbel and only three where doubles although i'm sure there was another one but I had no scales to verify.

If everything goes to plan I might be able to get out one day this week, maybe get summot decent, maybe not lol.

I think you can make your luck a bit by how where and when you fish Ian. My summer float fishing or day time small bait feeder fishing doesn't show a very good doubles to fish caught return either. About 10 years ago when I was into barbel fishing, I started in September and had 17 doubles by the end of the season from probably not many more than a hundred fish.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I think you can make your luck a bit by how where and when you fish Ian. My summer float fishing or day time small bait feeder fishing doesn't show a very good doubles to fish caught return either. About 10 years ago when I was into barbel fishing, I started in September and had 17 doubles by the end of the season from probably not many more than a hundred fish.

I know what you mean Brrian but according to gossip there where a lot more doubles back then, maybe they've popped their cloggs and the next lot are coming up. I would imagin fishing through the night with a leger rod might be a better approach to target larger fish.

Edited by Tigger