A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

I think the lack of breeding success in orfe is probably down to unsuitable spawning habitat rather than sterility - they're river fish. Stillwater chub tend not to spawn successfully either. I've never had them successfully spawn in a pond, but Tigger has seen it, so if the conditions are right it must be possible.

Could be that the spawning Chub in the pond were caught from the river, then Introduced & therefore not stock fish thus still have the urge to breed??

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

A return trip to the same place as last week, I shouldn't have done as my achilles tendon and back are still nacked and falling al over the place on slippery rocks in the river has made the problem worse ffs! Anyhow, I won't go on about the roe deer fighting on the opposite bank, the mink that swam across a fast flowing river when I squeaked it, the numerous kingfishers buzzing up and downstream and the otter prints along the bank etc etc.

The river was up a few inches on my last session and was running quite coloured. I finnished up catching quite a few fish up to a decent stamp . I took a snap of the unusual ones, a chub that looks as though it has just spawned and a barbel that reminded me of a dolphin....

It wouldn't surprise me if this chub has just spawned as I saw some freshly hatched fry (pin heads) in the margins again today!

sept%207%20chub.jpg

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_5839.jpg

• Like 1

EH?..... :schmoll:

Sorry Martin, you've lost me m8

Pharyngeal teeth bud, are teeth in the back of the throat. That's how Carp crunch boillies & other hard baits. Chub have same!! & are indeed a member of the Carp family. As are Roach & Barbel + Minnows, Gudgeon & Tench & very likely other species.

See the Link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwic4rv78oDPAhWnBsAKHZoyAM0QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlifetrusts.org%2Fspecies%2Fchub&usg=AFQjCNGYTTfgFZ7Wd0Z8C0F831s_HhIHxg&sig2=tYXWAldqVnVgPK5gxrt7Mw&bvm=bv.131783435,d.d24

Edited by Martin56

Fishin' - "Best Fun Ya' can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On"!!

EH?..... :schmoll:

Sorry Martin, you've lost me m8

Pharyngeal teeth bud, are teeth in the back of the throat. That's how Carp crunch boillies & other hard baits. Chub have same!! & are indeed a member of the Carp family. As are Roach & Barbel + Minnows, Gudgeon & Tench & very likely other species.

See the Link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwic4rv78oDPAhWnBsAKHZoyAM0QFggcMAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wildlifetrusts.org%2Fspecies%2Fchub&usg=AFQjCNGYTTfgFZ7Wd0Z8C0F831s_HhIHxg&sig2=tYXWAldqVnVgPK5gxrt7Mw&bvm=bv.131783435,d.d24

Yeah, I know about farangy teeth Martin, thank's for the link anyhow :). I wondered why you'd posted about it though, I must have missed something somewhere lol.

It felt positively warm at midday today when I set off to the river, however, it was like another world when I reached it! There was a horribly cold wind (I only had a thin tee shirt as usual) with gusts that must have been gale force, they blew so strong that they bent my float rod back upstream....at least it was upstream...good job n'all!
The river was up a few inches on normal levels and it was flowing with more color in it than I like so conditions where not really conducive with good trotting. Anyhow, I was there so I had to make the most of it. I didn't have a hint of a fish for the first half hour then the float dipped under and "fish on".
It was a barbel of about 7lbs and it was only just nicked on the outer edge of it's lip and in the outer layer of skin. I played it for a few minutes and nearly had it in the net a couple of times but the last time it came to the surface and came towards the net the hook pulled out. I was fishing in a powerful flow and the pressure was just to much for the hook to hold for very long...i'd had my fun playing it so it saved me the bother of unhooking it smile.gif. After that I did ok and landed eight barbel, no big fish but all above 6lb. The wind must have dried out my eyes, they where (and still are) stinging and I found it difficult to focus on my float unless I blinked rapidly for a moment or so putting moisture back on them so I called it a day. I was actually shivering with cold through that bloody wind and yet when I unhooked fish the water felt quite warm, wierd in'it!

sept16barb.jpg

sept%2016barbel1.jpg

• Like 1

Tigger,

Great photos and commentary as usual. Keep them coming! I'm beginning to think no one fishes anymore. Like me, they just talk fish.

Thanks

Phone

Thank's Phone, it's seriously dead on here in'it !

I must admit i'm on the verge of vanishing, what's the point in bothering if no one else can be arsed.

Edited by Tigger