A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Tigger,

It used to embarrass the 'ell out of me when I would go fishing elsewhere in the world. Between the United States and Canada it is easy to fish where no man has even trod much less fished. I know I tease anglers in the UK for "dink" fishing. I have to tell you no fish in the world is more rewarding than a 6" wild brook trout taken from above the timberline (roughly 12,000ft) from a stream not much wider than your hand. Because there is little DO or for that matter oxygen in the air, they can only stay out of the water for perhaps one minute.

We are blessed beyond your wildest imagination and I am often ashamed how we treat our resources.

Phone

• Like 1

Tigger,

It used to embarrass the 'ell out of me when I would go fishing elsewhere in the world. Between the United States and Canada it is easy to fish where no man has even trod much less fished. I know I tease anglers in the UK for "dink" fishing. I have to tell you no fish in the world is more rewarding than a 6" wild brook trout taken from above the timberline (roughly 12,000ft) from a stream not much wider than your hand. Because there is little DO or for that matter oxygen in the air, they can only stay out of the water for perhaps one minute.

We are blessed beyond your wildest imagination and I am often ashamed how we treat our resources.

Phone

I'd love to visit the States and have a fishing holiday. I am jealous/envious of your wide open spaces and counrtyside.....must be great. I watch a TV programme over here called American Pickers where they travel round America in a van buying interesting bits and pieces to sell or collect and my main reason for watching it is to look at the country and the houses, lots of the houses have acres of land attached to them and are spread out with lots of room between them...brilliant!

My mother has friends in Sanduskie Ohio, they have a ranch and they've been over here several times to visit but wev'e never been over there, sad really as Anna Mae's (that's my mums friend) husband is long dead now and she's cloggin' on same as me mum. I was only recently looking at old photo's of Anna Mae on my grandparents farm, quite shocking as they where all young and good looking back then and now they're either dead or getting there....depressin' stuff in'it!

Tigger, I have always preferred the screw down for the same reason as you but when using the Young's noticed it didn't bother me as much as expected. Also, that was in freezing cold weather with no gloves! What I did notice was that the way I hold the rod on retrieving I have a tendency to loosen the screw down reel seat, so, if they made them with a left hand thread they would be perfect.

Incidentally, yesterday I picked up a 1000 Avenger 14ft and took it straight out. I had an old Tri-cast Sterling with me as well so set up both. In comparison to what you have said above the Tri-cast is a lot faster action making lightening fast striking and line pick up easy.

I did even worse than you, one chub and one really nice Barbel lost.

Tigger, I have always preferred the screw down for the same reason as you but when using the Young's noticed it didn't bother me as much as expected. Also, that was in freezing cold weather with no gloves! What I did notice was that the way I hold the rod on retrieving I have a tendency to loosen the screw down reel seat, so, if they made them with a left hand thread they would be perfect.

Incidentally, yesterday I picked up a 1000 Avenger 14ft and took it straight out. I had an old Tri-cast Sterling with me as well so set up both. In comparison to what you have said above the Tri-cast is a lot faster action making lightening fast striking and line pick up easy.

I did even worse than you, one chub and one really nice Barbel lost.

So you found your tricast to have a faster action than your titan...strange as I found the opposite with the Allerton waggler, itfelt sloppier than my other rods, especially the acolytes which seem to have a very fast action which I do like.

Bad luck loosing your barbel but there's always another day....you'll get it next time :).

I was gonn'a pop out for a couple of hours today but someone talked me into going cycling instead, i'm glad they did as it's hissin down now! Maybe I can have few hours legering tomorrow and then a bit of trotting on Tuesday to finish off the season.

The Tri-cast Sterling does look like it has a spliced tip, but, it doesn't seem to have a flat spot like My Daiwa stick float special has. The step where it is spliced in seems less pronounced as well.

I know some people swear by spliced tips for but I actually let mine go as I prefer a hollow tip/waggler rod. I found the spliced tip was a little delicate for my style of fishing and since I often trott quite long ranges of up to a hundred yards I was a bit nervous of snapping the tip on the sweeping strikes that are required to set the hook at those kind of ranges. If you look on tricasts web page you'll see what I mean about the match waggler being the stepped up Allerton rod. Look under rods and then match rods for the blurb on the rods....

http://www.tri-castfishing.co.uk/new_fishing_products.php#

I am not sure I would trust the Daiwa but the Sterling seems to be of a different design. Surely as long as line has not looped over the tip then any strain should be transferred through to the hollow lower sections.

I know they say that with modern carbon rods you do not need a spliced tip but how many modern rods are designed for river trotting use. I have 'modern rods' with hollow tips that are supposed to be as fast as a spliced tip, but when the top section has broke I have inserted a splice tip which has improved there action rather than spoiled it. Saying that, it has improved it for Grayling, roach and Dace, not for Barbel or Chub.

I am not sure I would trust the Daiwa but the Sterling seems to be of a different design. Surely as long as line has not looped over the tip then any strain should be transferred through to the hollow lower sections.

I know they say that with modern carbon rods you do not need a spliced tip but how many modern rods are designed for river trotting use. I have 'modern rods' with hollow tips that are supposed to be as fast as a spliced tip, but when the top section has broke I have inserted a splice tip which has improved there action rather than spoiled it. Saying that, it has improved it for Grayling, roach and Dace, not for Barbel or Chub.

You wouldn't think so BB. Thing is spliced tip rods where only designed to cushion strikes when using light lines and stick floats when fishing off the rod tip at pretty close quarters. Now they can make hollow tip rods just as slim and soft as those spliced tip rods which have no flat spot whatsoever. In reality spliced tip rods are a thing of the past/redundant due to the technology of todays rod building skills. My waggler rods have stiffer mid sections and are still soft enough in the tip to cushion light lines without causing break-offs.

I have no prob's catching smaller species along with larger species when using my stepped up float rods.

The hardy marksman range and drennan acolyte rods are modern rods designed for using on the rivers,there are a fair number of other makes and models also so there's no shortage of them. When I first got an acolyte rod I was a little miffed to find that the guides weren't fuji's as the shop keeper had told me they where and so I fell out with it from the off...now I have to admit the rods are superb trotting rods and the plus models cover all manner of fish species when trotting in the uk.

I had the last couple of hours daylight on the bank today, no big fish but ad a few small chub. If I can manage to get out tomorrow i'm thinkin of having a change and legering for once, not something I do a lot of but the rivers not really right for trotting.

2017-03-13%2015.51.52.jpg

If you noticed all the maggots round the chubs mouth, it had spewed them up as they often do. I think they must do it so you'll eat the maggots and let them off the hook lol.

• Like 2

Last day on the river and I opted to leger because I thought it would be up and flowing too much for my liking...I get to the river and it's spot on for trotting omg.gif....even had a decent upstream wind....depressing stuff as I walked past my favourite glides on that beat!
It was a walk of over a mile to my swim and i'm not used to carting all this bloody tackle! Saying that I only had a smallish rucksack with landing net head attached, a quiver with a landing net handle, two bank sticks, my rod in a tube and a lightweight chair to Sherpa up the bank. I was still sweating like a porker as I marched on the double up river :). I got to my spot at 3.30... a nice smooth glide of about 3ft deep with a good steady flow. Anyhow I won't keep going on about the world around me like the owls hooting (in daylight as they always do here), the kingfishers shrieking and shooting up and down stream nearly skimming the waters surface, the mink mooching back and forth along the river, the curlews in the field behind me etc etc.
It wasn't exactly high octane angling but I did catch several chub and a barbel so better than a blank. It felt weird sitting behind a rod and I very quickly got bored and started making rigs for the hell of it rolleyes.gif. I managed to suffer 3hrs of that torture before I wrapped up and went home feeling like it was a month since my last meal....i'm nice and bloated now cool.gif.

2017-03-14%2015.36.05.jpg

2017-03-14%2016.27.55.jpg

2017-03-14%2017.04.18.jpg

2017-03-14%2018.00.01.jpg

• Like 2