A few hours out yesterday.....

Tigger

Tigger,

Fish looks spawn ready??

Phone

Unless it's a hermaphrodite it'll struggle to have spawn Phone...it's a male LOL

Edited by Tigger
  • Like 1

It is, though I know they have been coming out - someone had 11 tench last week, biggest 8-2! The bream have also been showing.

I should probably have fished feeder, but I wanted to fish the centrepin and watch a float.

I was float fishing in 18inch of water when I caught those. I used a short piece of peacock quill attached bottom end only via some rubber tubing and set up for lift bites or sail aways, either is nice :).

I had about 8 feet of water in front of me! I did get a bit of bubbling just before it went dark. Might be that evening sessions are a mistake, those big catches were taken in the mornings.

I think I should probably have been whacking a method feeder out to the island, but it's less fun.

I had about 8 feet of water in front of me! I did get a bit of bubbling just before it went dark. Might be that evening sessions are a mistake, those big catches were taken in the mornings.

I think I should probably have been whacking a method feeder out to the island, but it's less fun.

I like to fish the shallowest parts of a water at this time of year as I imagine the water will be be warmer and the food will be more plentiful. Obviously it depends on the water and bankside vegetation etc.

I'd rather catch one on the float than ten on the leger.....I think :unsure::lol: .

Tigger,

The question is can you maintain your composure if they are catching 10 on the leger and 1 on the float? That would be dedication.

Phone

Being honest Phone i've actually done that but it wasn't tench it was whilst trotting for barbel, gott'a say though, the satisfaction when I got one was great :). Sometimes it would be far more sensible to just swap the float for a small bomb and leger with the float rod which I have been known to do lol. I remember doing it one day and went from catching a couple of barbel on the float to catching 28 in the same swim but using a static bait....exactly the same baits...wierd in'it :rolleyes: .

Tigger.

No, not weird at all. During my last few year of dedicated angling (for carp) I would often "establish the ground rules" for myself. Usually based on either my chosen "favorite" or on what I perceived as the venue's watercraft the day before.

I almost always (almost) was able to stick to my plan. It's fishing not catching although it is a great deal more fun to catch.

I remember a session I was doing a "side by side" bait test. The entire lake was being emptied of fish on lob worms. I think I caught one carp that day.

Phone

• Like 1

I like to fish the shallowest parts of a water at this time of year as I imagine the water will be be warmer and the food will be more plentiful. Obviously it depends on the water and bankside vegetation etc.

I'd rather catch one on the float than ten on the leger.....I think :unsure::lol: .

Yes, a few years ago people were taking big catches this time of year from the (out of bounds) shallow bank, but the council complained and the club had to crack down. So now we can only fish from the platforms, which are all deep water pegs. Basically, the shallow bank is for feeding ducks and chucking dogs in, not that this stops them doing it in the angling bit which is out of bounds to them...

Yes, a few years ago people were taking big catches this time of year from the (out of bounds) shallow bank, but the council complained and the club had to crack down. So now we can only fish from the platforms, which are all deep water pegs. Basically, the shallow bank is for feeding ducks and chucking dogs in, not that this stops them doing it in the angling bit which is out of bounds to them...

I think i'd give that water a miss and try somewhere else, unless it has some large tench present.